• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Wanted: A lock plate removal tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scot1952

Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
I need the lock plate pin removal tool C4113 to remove the lock plate from a 1974 Dodge Charger. Does anyone know where I can buy or rent?
C4113.jpg
C4113.jpg

The reason shop manual tells you not to just drive it out with a punch and a hammer is that if you just went nuts and smacked it really hard, you might damage the upper column bearing. You can see that bearing in your picture. It surrounds the hole in the column where the steering shaft is going through it. I think it's a metal bearing with a rubber ring around it (?) Anyway, if you're gentle you can drive the pin out. That's the way I've always done it. OR, maybe you could rig something up with a c-clamp pushing on a very short and slightly smaller rolled pin on one side (hardware store and cut it short) and on the other side, squeeze on a small socket up against the shaft (hole in the socket with give a place for the pin to slide out into)....hope that makes sense. Try tapping moderately with a punch/hammer first though

The reason shop manual tells you not to just drive it out with a punch and a hammer is that if you just went nuts and smacked it really hard, you might damage the upper column bearing. You can see that bearing in your picture. It surrounds the hole in the column where the steering shaft is going through it. I think it's a metal bearing with a rubber ring around it (?) Anyway, if you're gentle you can drive the pin out. That's the way I've always done it. OR, maybe you could rig something up with a c-clamp pushing on a very short and slightly smaller rolled pin on one side (hardware store and cut it short) and on the other side, squeeze on a small socket up against the shaft (hole in the socket with give a place for the pin to slide out into)....hope that makes sense. Try tapping moderately with a punch/hammer first though
Great idea
Great idea, thanks, Althugh there is not much clearance between the lockplate itself and the pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back