• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Stories (Part 1 of 2): Battle of the Bulge veteran recalls struggle 70 years late

Speedbird

Bird of Pray
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/bet...y-1-carl-schroeter-20141213-story.html#page=1

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-hitler-churchill-history-culture-ngbooktalk/

The National WWII Museum | New Orleans

70 Years Ago Today: Battle of the Bulge

Explore Our CollectionsBattle of the Bulge:
Hitler's Desperate Gamble

On December 16, 1944, the largest battle the US Army had ever fought in history began among the snow-covered evergreens of the Ardennes forest in Belgium. US intelligence had determined that the Ardennes sector was ideal for the rest and reorganization of American combat infantry units, since, by their research, it was defended by limited-service veterans, severely wounded soldiers missing an arm or an eye, too young or too old to pose a serious threat. As a result, the Army used this area for the training of newly arrived, untested infantry divisions fresh from the States.

In reality, 30 of Germany's crack divisions were forming up for a counter offensive designed to cut the Allied army in two, and ultimately capture the port of Antwerp. It was the first time in the war that the US Army faced such a well equipped German attack of this magnitude. In combination with a spell of poor weather, German tanks rolled unhindered by Allied air attacks and caught most GIs at the front completely by surprise. The German assault resulted in a large bulge in the lines which lead to the battle's name.

The Battle of the Bulge lasted until January 25, 1945, when American forces met up and eliminated the bulge. Nearly one million soldiers were engaged during the six-week battle, resulting in 67,000 American and more than 100,000 German casualties.

Please take a moment today to explore our Focus On featuring newsreel footage, artifacts from Captain Neil P. Stewart, commanding officer of F Company, 422nd Infantry Regiment, 106th Division, plus images from the National Archives. Or dive into our Digital Collection featuring firsthand accounts from World War II veterans.

The National WWII Museum

Forward this email to a friend | Unsubscribe | Manage your email subscriptions

The National WWII Museum, 945 Magazine Street, New Orleans, LA 70130
Entrance on Andrew Higgins Drive
PHONE: 504-528-1944 | FAX: 504-527-6088 | EMAIL: [email protected] | Directions

Thanks. Young people need to see/hear our history from those who made it. Not the revised garbage they're being taught.

My dad was there in The Ardennes in 1944, serving in the U.S. Army as a Tech. Sargent assigned to the 404th Field Artillery Group under Maj. General Manton Eddy (VII Corps under General Patton). Before he passed away (years later at 77 years old), this time of year usually brought back his memories of The Bulge and he would tell us kids what happened there from his perspective and what his part in it was. What I remember most is him saying just how freaking cold it was in that forrest that December. He was an avid hunter both before and after the war, and he told me many times that while deer hunting, etc... he'd never been as cold as he was in The Ardennes in 1944-45.

As the German Army 'bulged' the Allied line, he and his unit spent all of Christmas Eve and most of Christmas Day moving their artillery pieces towards the rear and away from the line so that they wouldn't fall into enemy hands. I'm sure that's one Christmas he never forgot.....

Thanks to all of our men and women who serve, and a special thanks to those WWII Veterans for saving the world.

I wish that I had a clip of an interview I once saw.
He talked about three men locking arms and sleeping standing up so they didn't have to lay in the snow.
He also said he saw men fall asleep and walk off the road.

Incredible story and acts of extreme valor...
I persionally read Military History, specifically WWII

Young people today are soft, can not function in a crisis, cant operate without their Cell Phones...

A wasted generation.

All of the men I have had the honor of meeting had a way about them that suggested greatness. Humble as well. These men went through a lot for a cause they believed in and made it a far better place and at such a great cost. It chokes me up to hear there story's in their words. Went to some fighter symposium's for WW2 aces. The aces got up on a stage and shared there story's. They were all recorded and archived at the Smithsonian museum. Afterwords they would autograph books and you could ask them questions. There are fewer of them around every year. It is important to remember what they did for all of us. Soon they will be gone but they will never be forgotten.

Young people today are soft, can not function in a crisis, cant operate without their Cell Phones...

A wasted generation.

Don't lose hope super-bee_ski they are not all soft. I personally know some very young Veterans and non Veterans where I work and live and they are as tough and capable as anyone I have known my entire life. :unitedstates:

onlyone thanks for sharing that

they were/are the greatest generation for sure, sacrificed so much for so many

we can NOT ever thank them enough...

My uncle gene was there and made it home along with 2 of his brother's. All three made it back remarkably, they are all gone now and until the day they died I don't believe they ever discussed it.

My great Uncle Doyle Finley was a tank driver in Patton's tank corp. When I was growing up as a kid, my parents always told me that Doyle just wasn't "quite right" when he returned home.....small wonder why....

My great Uncle Doyle Finley was a tank driver in Patton's tank corp. When I was growing up as a kid, my parents always told me that Doyle just wasn't "quite right" when he returned home.....small wonder why....

George C. Scott's portrayal of his advance planning to have his army ready to turn north was memorable. I don't know how accurate it was. But memorable.

From the above link.
One of the key aspects of the battle is the speed with which he can reorientate his Third Army, which is to the south of the Bulge, and get them to counterattack the Germans by moving north. To turn a whole army around on its axis by 90 degrees and move north in the middle of winter at almost no notice is almost unheard of.

The times were different and so were the people. I saw a WW2 vet with his hat on sitting in the passenger seat of the car while his wife went into the post office yesterday morning. He had oxygen tubes in his nose. I spoke to his wife and asked her to thank him for me, for his service and his sacrifices. She thanked me and said that it would make his day. The old fella waved at me as they pulled out to leave. What super bunch of men and women they were. They gave so much and received so little in return.

The broad front caused the battle as the Germans basically atacked between the first and third armies where the area was thinnly held. But they still fought and held as much as they could until reinforcements arived from the strenth of the third and first armies. About 610,000 US soldiers were engaged at the height of the battle against almost 500,000 Germans. About 32 US dividions were involved and about 30 German divisions. Also a few British troops fought on the Northern shoulder I believe. The bad weather helped the Germans also because when the US air force could not fly the Germans could move during the day but when the weather was good to fly the huge US and British air forces were awesome in destroying German troops and equipment. I know on Dec 24 , 1944 Christamss eve the US 8th Air Force put 2000 bombers up and nearly 1000 fighters. And it was like one of the coldest winters on record. I cant thank the troops enough for what they did. Ron

A wasted generation.

I'd say the men and women that have fought in the wars since 2001 do NOT fit your generalization of a whole generation.

Auto Transport Service
Back