• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warranty Replacement Hemi Blocks

Hemi2Much

Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
I don't know if this has ever been discussed but after finding out that the block in my 1966 Hemi is a factory warranty replacement block.
The thought crossed my mind. What did Dodge do with the damaged Hemi blocks when they were replaced under warranty?
And how bad does an engine have to be in order to be completely replaced under warranty? Would something as small as a spun bearing cause an engine block to be replaced?
JKent

Last edited:
I don't know if this has ever been discussed but after finding out that the block in my 1966 Hemi is a factory warranty replacement block.
The thought crossed my mind. What did Ford do with the damaged Hemi blocks when they were replaced under warranty?
And how bad does an engine have to be in order to be completely replaced under warranty? Would something as small as a spun bearing cause an engine block to be replaced?
JKent
If it throws a rod through the side of the block… yes.

A spun bearing would be repaired, broken casting=replacement.

Who has worked at a new car dealership?

It depends on many things. The mindset of the management, and making the customer happy. How much down time, etc. They may only replace an one one time, then the warranty claim gets denied. After that they get all patched up.

plenty of engines were replaced that could have been repaired.

12 Iron Hemi Heads
Truckloads of 440 Heads.
Most had only pin hole leaks from
casting issues.
A large number of blocks with Oil Consumption
issues.
All EZ Peezy fixes!!!!

Friend worked at a Plymouth dealer and did engine work. A guy bought an orange 70 Hemi Cuda and street raced it. He spin a bearing bought back friend replaced the crank. Well car comes back heard a big bang that all he said. Well pulled the engine busted rod looked like an S. Pulls the engine a part and the only major damage to the block two lifter bores. One bore a third was missing the half was gone. After a factory rep looked at friend what do you want do with it rep said toss it. So he tossed in his trunk and took it home. His brother has it now.

Not sure how typical it was but the 383 in my 64 Sport Fury began using a lot of oil at 49,000 miles on it. The local dealer tore it down in the car, in the shop and re-ringed it - I remember going in one day to check on it and it was just an empty block sitting in the engine bay. Don’t remember if they did anything to the heads. The ironic thing was it still used oil afterwards and they eventually traced it to a clogged PVC valve.

Back in the day, my former brother in law was the service manager at the local Plymouth dealer, and had a '69 Hemi Road Runner as a company car when it was new. It was then sold to a Penn State student, while still under one year, 12,000 mile warranty. It burned a bearing after the guy made a mad dash for a Monday class, after leaving too late from a weekend at home. The boss told the shop to pin the throttle on the car, and destroy the engine, so he could get a new short block from Chrysler, rather than performing a warranty repair. They did as told, and ten minutes later, the Hemi stopped running. When they checked the block, expecting a rod through the side, it was still intact. The engine was repaired under warranty, and the car was later restored as a numbers matching example.

Auto Transport Service
Back