• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was it worth it? I want your opinion!

Nice car, 70 is a good looking year, in fact, I wish I had a 70 vs 2 69s! However, that being said, yes, you do have your work cut out for you. I recommend a dose of reality; triple the time and costs you think it will be, this is how it all washes out in the end.

I recommend you find a Media Blaster up in your neck of the woods, these cars need a Media Blasting to see what's under the paint, blow the rust out, you will like and hate at the same time what you get back. I know, I am the Media Blaster, aka Dr. Blast. Buying grinding discs/sanding discs to knock the paint down is TONS of hours, and you never will get it totally clean, nor will you get the nooks and crevices of the car.

Bottom Line, good luck, and keep us informed, and if I can offer you any help, feel free to ask, I charge $2.50 per word, haha, just kidding! This place is freeville!

to thred #18 very well said!! and after all the bonding you will get is priceless.. my hat is off to you..

Strong money paid vs. condition but if it makes you happy at the end of the day and keeps your son out of the hands of thugs what's that worth?

You did fine, great color and investment. Cars out there for 20 k you bet, some quite nice some have lots of problems. Many shiny paint jobs with bad bodywork and some with incorrect restoration parts and pieces. You know when you do it your self what you are getting and in the end ,its better than paying more then finding out you overspent as the car that looked so good is a rust and bondo nightmare needing to be redone that is where you can really lose. Enjoy the project spend quality time togeather with your son, time goes by in the blink of an eye. best wishes!

if that is the car you want to build with your son then you can pay whatever you think was fair.i might not have paid the asking price but then i'm a tightwad.i bought most of my cars way back when b4 muscle car prices started orbiting the moon.by the time your son is at your age the car will probably be worth 20 times more than what you paid for it.check the mopar collectors guide and see for yourself what some people are asking for there cars that are in the same condition as yours and go from there

One advantage if you do it from square one, you know what you got and how the work was done,.....if you buy a completed car you don't always have that piece of mind.

Bottom line is.................If YOU are comfortable with what you paid, then you didn't pay to much

[
Three, I can't afford one that's all done for $20K. Plus what is the point in that? So I can look at it? I want the satisfaction of knowing I restored this car, searched relentlessly for all the missing pieces, got to know people along the way.

That is exactly what I am doing, I have met a lot of great people along the way and it has been loads of fun!.

Amen to that.

There is a big difference between sentimental value and monetary...Take a wild guess which one is priceless. We're not all in this for the lute. I would not have half the satisfaction in owning/driving my car if it would have been a turn key investment. Someone backwards on investment of a hobby?? Gee, when doesn't that happen?

My two hands put the car back on the road and I find it quite hilarious talking with folks that own the ready for flight buys that have no clue what kind of blood, sweat, and tears it takes to put/keep these wonderful peices of american automobile legacy on the pavement. Nothing against them, but just not the boat I want to sail.

congrats and good luck on your project!

Just for the record, I have done it both ways.

When I was young and eager to learn new mechanical things I would do my own work on the old cars I bought. As I got older, the luster went off this kind of work for me. I found that if I spent a little more time selling a few more cars or drinks (I owned a bar at one time) it was more cost effective to use the extra money I earned to pay someone else that worked faster to do it for me.

In this day and age, two different things enter into the equasion for me.

1. As I said originally in this post it is more cost effective to buy a done car. I have been around cars long enough to determine what kind of job was done on the car so that is not a problem for me.

2. I am nearly 60 years old. I am not willing to spend any more of my precious time restoring a car that I would rather be spending that time driving.

Amen to that.

There is a big difference between sentimental value and monetary...Take a wild guess which one is priceless. We're not all in this for the lute. I would not have half the satisfaction in owning/driving my car if it would have been a turn key investment. Someone backwards on investment of a hobby?? Gee, when doesn't that happen?

My two hands put the car back on the road and I find it quite hilarious talking with folks that own the ready for flight buys that have no clue what kind of blood, sweat, and tears it takes to put/keep these wonderful pieces of American automobile legacy on the pavement. Nothing against them, but just not the boat I want to sail.

congrats and good luck on your project!

Christ, no one could have said it better.
It never has been nor will be about the investment, I am blessed that all my mopars have a history and sentimental value above the 'blue book' indeed, I submit that is where the true value of a muscle car lies
You can't put a price on the memories or races won
and lost...

I wish my Dad would have done a project,to late he's gone.My middle daughter is my only gearhead(3 girls).She's raised moved away and busy with life.Do it your way,take lots of pics,and burn rubber when its done!Just some advise from the only GI Joe on planet estrogen!

Oh yeah my yougest is home for sring break,we are going thru my 63 Fury resto pics for album.I sold it 2yrs ago,found pics of her help put short block together with me.She's 8yrs old in pics.Got pics my Mom,all 3 girls,and wife helping.Friends helping too!Congrats!

in my opion i think its a good deal.ive been looking for a 70 for a while and where i live in ohio if it even comes with a motor they want 6k.i had to settle for a 71rr for now.

Just for the record, I have done it both ways.

2. I am nearly 60 years old. I am not willing to spend any more of my precious time restoring a car that I would rather be spending that time driving.

But the point is, you HAVE done it both ways. So even though you may be buying turn key cars now, you still understand and appreciate what went into them.
Also, my dad's in his 60's, and he's finally getting around to that mindset as well... start enjoying instead of working so damn hard.

$6,000.00 seems a little high for me as it needs ALOT of work. Imagine what it will look like once it is restored though.

Alot of good info here and even a balanced argument for and against the purchase value.

My two-pennies...

I got my 69 for $2500. It is missing alot and needs sheetmetal galore. I did it for the challenge and the mental stress relieving it does for me. I'll have way more in the car than its worth when i am done, but that is not the goal. keeping me sane is the goal and giving me something for retirement to enjoy.

I am an engineer, I work with engineers everyday who their life is engineering. Well guess what? When they retire what do they do? Most have no hobbies and they live their job. Personally, I want to have a hobby or a skill that has value. How much money can you save fixing your own car? Have you seen the local mechanic prices? by taking the time to learn the rebuild process, the restoration process, etc. when you are ready to retire, each day you wake up you will be raring to go and work on your american (or foreign) car.

So, as the saying goes, to each their own. Could i afford to buy a great 69 driver for $20k, sure, but what have i learned? What tie to it would i have? Something given freely or purchased without effort has no real value. At the very least my kids can say "my daddy built that car with his own two hands, what does your daddy do?"

Randy

Sounds like you got too old to enjoy working on cars 696Pack and know you just throw your money around.

Maybe $6000 was a bit high, it doesnt matter.
Sure when your done, never truly are unless your 696Pack and just buy them, building it and have enjoyed every moment with your son and your car the car has taken twice the cash to build than you could sell it for. Doesnt matter.

I would rather spend my time enjoying the build, enjoying the family, enjoying the people i meet, enjoying the car, the whole scenario of the build, the swap meets and garage sales etc than just going down to a car lot,newspaper etc and buying a car and driving it around saying "Hey, look at me, i bought it cuz im old and tired and i couldnt build it."

Auto Transport Service
Back