• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watched American Graffiti again.....for the 200th time

rp23g7

Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
So my buddy got a new dvd player and surround and had me come over to watch movies, AG of course.

His new player is really clear on his LCD and does the zoom in thing. So we spent 2 or 3 hrs going through the movie, ever noticed when Milner and the girl are going through the junk yard there is a 67 Ford wagon on the stack? Really cool zooming in on background cars, there is a early Pinto in the background up the street when Kurt gets thrown out of the VW and goes to chase the T Bird.

Couple of questions though for those of you who are old enough. Would people just sit on some other random persons car, like Kurt does before the Pharoes find him?

Would a girl just go up to a random dude and ask for a ride home?

My wife is from Modesto, and the first time i went there i went looking for the filming places, I remember seeing Mels in San Fran before they tore it down, and Carly remembers when they filmed the movie, but it was filmed in Petaluma.

Modesto does have a Paradise Road, i went to find it the first time i went there, but it looked nothing like the area in the movie. I asked Paul LeMat about it when they had a roadster show in Seattle, and he said it was to built up by then and the race was filmed in Petaluma too.

George Lucas plaza is in Modesto as well as Back to Graffitii car show, tons of cars there

I actually sold my boat to a guy named Rick Blackstock, he worked on the Impala, i didnt know it was actually from Spokane, Wa. He drove the Brief Encounter jet car and Top Fuel dragster in the 70's and 80's at SIR, Pacific Raceways now, for you Pacific Northwest guys.

http://kathyschrock.net/graffiti/impala.htm

Great movie! I think I've watched it about that many times also. I don't think anybody would go sit on someone else's car, especially a car club guys car. It is a great movie

My favorite movie of all time would have to be Christine, though.

That movie will be good for another 200 viewings.....And no we wouldn't sit on another car... ya just didn't do that sort of thing.. And a smart girl would not do that, "smart" girl... 15 year old kid, spoiled stupid enough may, but not a good idea.. That is a great movie, Never noticed those things you mentioned, thanks, Good movie to watch again... Ron

Watched Christine today, back ground in garage... Vanishing point, newer version another great one! Love the Challenger.. Nice R/T and Demon guys!

that is a great movie. Good story line and great cars.

Yes, in the small town I lived in in the 60s (5000 people) we sat on one anothers cars at the drive-ins and gas stations where we congragated and girls would ask for rides home but more likely guys offering. Then again you typically know everone in town.

The downtown shots were filmed in petaluma ca...They do a very large american graffiti car show there every year...Last year they did a reenactment of the cop car getting the rear end yanked out...It,s now an empty lot and they charged 50 to100 bucks a head to see it at about 2 am in the morning...I know the guy that owns the 55 chevy and the ford coup...He lives in S.F. and bought both cars at a movie auction...He did,nt pay **** for the cars in 1983...He brings both cars to the show every year...The t bird showed up year before last...It was said to have been wrecked and totaled...Thats why the guy that owns showed up so we know the true story...It,s always a good show..450 +cars..The wine country mopars show up...Ever seen a convertable road runner painted color illusion?Me either and I hope not to see it again?
Petty Blue 67 GTX

I was 19 in 1969 and yes the girls would ask a guy she did not know for a ride home from the local Drive-In but she also knew she was perfectly safe doing that. You only propped up or sat on another guys car if you knew it was OK with him.

Great movie one of my favorites, showing one of my favorite eras. I would die for ether a 55chevy or 5 window coupe like the ones in the movie beautiful cars! Fatjack it's funny you were 19 in 69' and I'm 19 driving a 69' :D wish I could of seen what you guys saw/lived back then. Think what would happen if you leaned on someones car or rolled the window down offering to give a young girl a ride home! (although I can pull off getting a random girl to get in my car, it's getting her in the back seat that's the problem hahahah)

yes

I was 19 in 1969 and yes the girls would ask a guy she did not know for a ride home from the local Drive-In but she also knew she was perfectly safe doing that. You only propped up or sat on another guys car if you knew it was OK with him.

me too and yes and yes. life was so much simpler back then.

Even in the late 70s/early 80s, you could get rides from "strangers" without nearly the risk you take now. "Leaning" on someone else's car occured (probably not sitting), but some people were cool about it, others were dicks. You certianly wouldn't lean on a custom car, unless your mind was elsewhere. I've known girls to get away with sitting on a stranger's car.

My favorite movie of all time is AG.

There is a website out there that lists (endlessly) all the "mistakes" in the movie. Check it out.

My favorite line is:

Falfa: "Hey, your supposed to be the fastest thing in the valley, man. But that can't be your car. It must be your mamma's car."

Carol: "Wow, he's really fast, isn't he?"

Milner: "Yeah, but he's stupid."

LOL.....this is fun.

Wow what a great thread ,i watch American Graffiti twice a year just to bring back to the day.i was 18 in 68 and thats when i started Chryslers and made $2.60.an hr .Those were the days.I wouldnt mind going back.We have a huge car show in London Ont. called Plunketts .he has around 3000 cars for the weekend and has his own museum.Last year he had some of the cast from American Graffiti.Milner was there with some of the other cast and the street rod.Not sure if it was the same one as on the show but was great ,Okay im hooked now ,i love this movie,what was everyone driveing back then.I had a 1966 Acadian Canso,it was a chevy 11 only the Canadian Pontiac version.it had the 327-350 horse L79.I will never forget the fun i had with that car ,im lucky to still be alive.That was alot of car back then.
Paul

In 1969 you could buy a brand new A12 car for 3500.00 and believe me that was every penny in the world back then. A new Corvette could be bought for 4500.00 but they were reserved for the rich guys.

(Good to see some guys on here my age. LOL)

Im Not old enough to have been alive when most these movies came out but still love the Hell out of all the classic car films,Vanishing point the original, and Dirty Mary crazy Larry,gotta be my 2 favorites also love American Graffitti,Christine,Both the Gone in 60 sec.,The 7 Ups,Bullitt of course,and if nobody has seen the Quentin Tarantino film Death proof,that was pretty bad ***! If U have not seen it all I will say is 69-70 Charger vs Alpine white 70 challenger,oh yeah did I 4 get hot woman driving the Challenger and a hot one strapped to the hood at 70 mph!!! The Fast and the furious movies are just alright In my opinion Tokyo drift is terrible on sole principle that they put a Nissan engine In a 67 fastback Stang' Way to ruin one of the best cars ever built!! Plus I cry every time I see another Mopar get trashed in there films,even if it's not real. Wish they would have had more of the 70 RR In the latest fast and the furious. (The silver car that U see 4 10 sec. then it flips and burns.) :(

I'm lovin' this thread :)

me too and yes and yes. life was so much simpler back then.

yep, it was much different back then and a girl would definitely ask a random guy for a ride home. but if you were smart, your not going to sit on anybody's ride. i miss those days!

Auto Transport Service
Back