• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water in the trunk!

piot

Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
Hello!
I got one problem!
Yesterday when I drove with my Chrysler Cordoba through hard raining weather, I recognize water on left and right side on and under the carpet in the Trunk.
I think, the water comes in because the rear tires push the water through the side panels in the trunk.

On the pic, you see the left side of the panel with marking the spot I think the water comes through from below:
The edges to the side panel have a little room and they were wet too.

Two other pics:

Some guys said to me, the water coming in the trunk, because the clips from the Vinyl.
But then the water have to be everywhere in the trunk or not?

Hope to get some tips from you to stop the water in the trunk...doesn´t need a Whirpool in my car. :grin:

Well...water leaks are everyones nightmare as the leak could be anywhere and travel along a seam and deposit where it finds a low spot. Find one of your smaller buddies, heck with a 'doba just about anyone would fit...coax him inside the trunk with a flash light close the lid and start hosing...That's the simplest way but may only show you approx where the leak is coming in.
Couple of questions to check out...are there any rustout areas in the wheelhouse/rear window area? Is the trunk seal good? Are there any visible blisters under the vinyl roof?

Good luck, leaks can be tuff to track down.

Leaking tail lights can also be an issue, as we all know even a pin hole can let in a bucket +/-of water.

Leaking tail lights can also be an issue, as we all know even a pin hole can let in a bucket +/-of water.

Can not possible, because on the left, I got a NOS Taillight and in the trunk on left side there was water too.
Since this happen, I drove 2-3 through the rain too...but there was no water anymore!???
Have to observe it a little bit more.

Check the seam seal around the wheel tubs. I had a small leak and that was the culprit. Hope you find it.

Cordoba/Magnums are well known for the trunk leaks, and rot. Try one of their forums for the cure. I'll ask a Magnum guy at work about his leak source.

not surprised! I lost count of how many times they closed me in a trunk with a flash light as someone soaked the whole rear of the car.
sucked being low man on the totem pole in dealer( on line in a Plymouth/dodge/AMC dealer ship from 79-85)
I wish i could say there was an easy fix and one consistent spot that was the culprit

best way to attack this get in trunk with flash light and have some soak the back of the car with a hose

not surprised! I lost count of how many times they closed me in a trunk with a flash light as someone soaked the whole rear of the car.
sucked being low man on the totem pole in dealer( on line in a Plymouth/dodge/AMC dealer ship from 79-85)
I wish i could say there was an easy fix and one consistent spot that was the culprit

best way to attack this get in trunk with flash light and have some soak the back of the car with a hose

After driving through rain some more now, I recognize after I parked the car some while, that Water drips out (hours ago too) from the left right wheel housing end...only the left!

What do you think,where is the spot the water is gathering around?
There was only two times water in the trunk, although the car standing about eight times in hard rain.
So there is no regularity too.

I would say "Don't drink it in the rain, but you are in Germany where it like rains a lot."

If it draining from the fender well it means you need to seal up the seal. Take a water hose and spray up into the well and see what happens.

it could be coming in between quarter and inner wheel well
like I said before get in trunk with a flash light have someone take a garden hose and spray the wheel wells, tail lights, trunk weather seal, and rear windshield especially around the trim
no easy way

another way to do it is like pd said but without the water is to have someone get in the trunk with a light but do it at night and have the person shine all around inside and let you know where he is shining and look for the light coming thru,then correct as needed.that way nobody gets wet.

Auto Transport Service
Back