• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water leak in cowl

subforry

Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

When I drive in the rain or wash the car my right foot gets wet. The water could be bad windshield install or something with the cowl vent. Before I crawl up behind the dash, is there something that is known to leak? How do the cowl vent drains work and where do they drain to?

Thanks

Google lower cowl for sale, or search here.... Looks for pix, it will explain plenty. Many, many time, you have holes rusted in the floor of the cowl. When you run water in the vent holes by the wipers, it should drain out at the back of the fenders.

66/67 is not known for rusted cowl vent stacks.

That's not to say it doesn't happen, it's just not a common issue with that body style.

I'd check those wiper pivot bushings first.

By contrast 71-74 is extremely common to have rusted out cowl vents.

I think the windshield gasket was designed to leak. If the windshield has ever been replaced, this is likely to be where water is coming in. I had the front glass out of my '67 R/T, and found a couple of little rust throughs that I had to fix in the trough that gasket sits in.

I had to remove the instrument cluster for the zillionth time and poured water around the wipers and glass.

The water goes into the trim at the upper left of the windshield seal and may enter the seal at the bottom. Then it runs onto a horizontal lip/body seam that distributes the water to the sides of the car. Where it can run into the fuse box, then around to the lower front of the dash and onto ones foot.

My seal has a kink inside at the lower left, but seals to the front of the glass. Which makes it look like it's fine. I didn't take the trim off, but I expect if I did the leak would be clear to see. I have the seal, but haven't pulled the glass yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back