• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What causes water leakage under the dash?

Brian Lontz

Local time
10:58 PM
Reaction score
My windshield gasket is brand new. During rain or washing I get water leaking onto the glovebox cardboard structure & on underneath the drivers dash where the horn relay sits. It shorted out last time it got wet and had to replace it. Also there is a lot of rust on everything underneath the dash. So I’m thinking it leaks water quite a bit down there……Any ideas what causes this problem?

Thanks

Unless the air vent plenum is rotted out, either you've still got a leak through the windshield gasket or it from the wiper pivots.

If you're car is what's pictured in your avatar, what's the horn relay doing under the dash?

It looks like a '70 model. I thought my own horn relays were also under the dash....
Regarding the leak...
Yeah, I get some leakage too despite a well sealed windshield. I still have the original wiper pivot gaskets....they're 54 years old!

Unless the air vent plenum is rotted out, either you've still got a leak through the windshield gasket or it from the wiper pivots.

If you're car is what's pictured in your avatar, what's the horn relay doing under the dash?
That’s where it goes on a 70 b body.

It's not here?

1705832364019.png

Here’s the horn relay on 70 Charger, right underneath the headlight doors relay (Circled).

IMG_6895.jpeg

I was thinking it was when it was built, like what month made a difference

That may be, but back to the topic from the OP .... water leak. I think more info is needed, but there are four basic questions:

Is the cowl plenum rotted?
Was any sealant applied to the windshield molding clips?
How well is the windshield gasket sealed to the body?
How are the wiper pivot seals?

I only had leakage one time inside under the passenger side dash area - for me it had nothing to do with windshield etc. Mine was the heater core decided to retire and that’s where the leakage came from. This was a 68 GTX.

I don’t know if this helps but on my 74 Charger the drivers side leaked and puddled up on the floor. When I had a new windshield installed, there was a rust hole that was below the windshield gasket area that was causing the leak. The installer sealed it with the windshield goop and no more leaks.

My car only has the fresh air intake on the passenger side and it was not leaking and looked good. No more puddles since sealing the hole. It wasn’t very big but sure soaked things. It was hidden under all the accumulated dirt and debris and partly covered by the fender where it meets at the hood and door area.

Mine leaks under the windshield.
BUT Mine has only been wet once in 22 years . So I am not taking the chance of breaking the glass to fix it

Auto Transport Service
Back