• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water pump pulley

Mike Miller

Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
Can someone with a 440 no a/c please tell me what diameter your water pump pulley is!! Im seeing on 440 source that the big block pulley is 6 13/16" where mine is 5 3/4" . My water pump pully is too far forward out of line with the damper groove by about 3/16 " or half the belt width. My alternator lines right up with the 2nd groove from the rear and the p/s water pump goes in the 3rd from the rear..the 4th or front groove is not used and all 4 are the same diameter. The P/O pieced together this car and i doubt they even ran it. The old v-belt was quiet but i tried 2 new gates belts and they squeal under load. The 4 blade 18inch fan blade was mounted on this pulley and im sure that was from the original 318 that was in the car (1974 Charger) The entire drive train is out of a 1970 Plymouth fury so i dont know what mismatch of parts were used..
Thanks

I have a 3 groove crank pulley as I believe my 440 originally had AC. The alternator goes on the 2nd groove, PS on the rearmost groove, front one not used. Some belts are junk. I actually have my WP pulley off and it is 6.5" single groove.

IMG_0976.png

I have a 3 groove crank pulley as I believe my 440 originally had AC. The alternator goes on the 2nd groove, PS on the rearmost groove, front one not used. Some belts are junk. I actually have my WP pulley off and it is 6.5" single groove.

View attachment 1335219
Would you please tell me what the depth is from where your tape is now to the flange at the bottom??

Ok, here it goes..
i bought the repro pulley from 440 source.. the diameter is 6 13/16 and will not clear the crank pulley . The crank pulleys are so close to the 5 3/4 diameter pump pulley that i can barely squeeze the alternator belt between them. I have to wonder why this crank pulley is even on this motor. Anyone else have this pulley ?? It was installed by the previous owners and it sits too far back. Im going to have to shim it because im totally out of options.. what a mess..

20220829_172148 (1).jpg

20220829_174755 (1).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back