• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WD-40 cans....What the heck happened?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
I like WD-40. I use it for many things. What I don't like is that their nozzles seem to fail too often. I've had several that quit spraying even though there is plenty left in the can. I've had a few that only spray upside down. I suspect that there is a inner tube that pulls from the bottom of the can and that it comes loose. Whatever the problem is, I'm sick of it.
What other penetrant/lubricant works well? I've used PB Blaster but I don't like the smell. What else is worth buying?

Give Kroil a try. They make an aerosol, as well as a liquid in a pint can. Good stuff, I use it a lot where I just want to drip some on the part to be disassembled and an aerosol makes a spray mess.

For the ladies man:

A4FC1AA9-2DFE-4C01-98AE-505418C156D1.png

WD-40 can be bought in gallon cans and used with any spray bottle.

They make a hand pump WD-40 sprayer. I have never had a problem with it. When I have issues with the aerosol cans, I carefully vent any residual pressure and then cut the can to drain it into the hand pump container.
jus sayin....

Same here. WD-40 cans quit spraying with lots of stuff inside the can. I quit buying the stuff 5 years ago. PB Blaster is nasty, but it works.
WD-40 displaces moisture. It is a short-term lubricant. WD-40 is a quick fix spray. For those who are pro-active it has little use, if any.
As far as an alternative to PB Blaster, I don't know. I do know it is not the only penatrating spray on the market.
Personally, I make sure I'm upwind and wash my hands thoroughly after spraying PB Blaster.
PB Blaster works. That's why I use it.
I view WD-40 in the same category as crescent wrenches; has it uses, but few and far between.
Don't mean to sound preachy or know it all (I certainly don't), just my experience.
Feel free to disagree.

Last edited:
If you're talking about the WD with the pop up straw, you can remove the top and blow air back through it to clear it.

I worked at a fab shop that would buy it in bulk. We had metal quart spray cans that we pressurized with a air hose. Sprayed the baskets of welded parts down so they wouldn't rust in storage. If you poured some in a clear container you could see stuff floating in it. (Animal fat?)

I liked the old CRC much better than WD40. Lasted longer and displaced water better. I believe the old formula is called CRC Power Lube now.

IMG_4120.JPG
I do like the smell of WD-40. If you're talking about spraying it on door hinges in the house and such things, yeah it is useful.
Seems like when they went to the Smart Straw is when the cans quit completely emptying.

Last edited:
Yeah...So I'm obviously not the only dude that has noticed this. I have had this happen to at least 5 cans, maybe more.
It is enough to prompt me to switch. I like the spray nozzle but this is very inconvenient when you can feel 1/3 of the can is left but it won't spray out.

These are my two favorites: Fluid Film for general penetrant and lube,
244858.jpg

And this to creep into voids to inhibit corrosion. It's popular in the aircraft industry.
13555-2.jpg

I don't think that I have ever seen that stuff on a shelf.

Yeah, NO kidding. What a crapshoot those were. Some would spray, most would NOT. Friggin ********.

Auto Transport Service
Back