• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We Need More Companies Like This

That place went the extra mile. I will have to definitely give them my business when I get back on the road. I love a good thick pizza.

So much for no good deed goes unpunished. :) JP wanted to keep this think low-key, but the soldier in Afghanistan posted the whole story on Facebook and it went viral. The local ABC affiliate was out there doing a report yesterday, and today ABC News, CBS News, Yahoo News, and all the local affiliates have done stories on it.

Not what the guy wanted, but maybe some other businesses will think this way.

They do make the best pizza. We had never heard of them when we moved here in 2004. My sons were in a HALO game competition that was sponsored by the local classic rock station, and they had Mellow Mushroom pizza there and we loved it. It had been a long time since I had a pizza with the really thick and gooey Mozzarella cheese like the pizzerias back in Pittsburgh used, and the crust was awesome. When they started opening a store near our house, both my sons applied for jobs and have been working there since 2008.

I asked my kids about the cheese they use, and they told me it costs about $120 a 10 lb box. I mentioned this to someone who works for Dominos and they said the "cheese" they use is like $30 for the same amount. You'll never get a $5 or $10 pizza at the 'Shroom, but you damn sure get your money's worth.

pizza is no good unless it has so much cheese on it,,,,that you gag on it,,,NOW THATS A GOOD PIZZA. Fiores Pizza in Pittsburgh is like this. they are on Rt. 19 as soon as you come out of the liberty tubes heading away from town. its almost worth the 45 minute drive to go get one. the place is ALWAYS packed !

pizza is no good unless it has so much cheese on it,,,,that you gag on it,,,NOW THATS A GOOD PIZZA. Fiores Pizza in Pittsburgh is like this. they are on Rt. 19 as soon as you come out of the liberty tubes heading away from town. its almost worth the 45 minute drive to go get one. the place is ALWAYS packed !

It's not how much cheese, but what kind. The kind Mellow uses, and the kind I loved on pizzas back in Pittsburgh, gets to be almost like chewing gum when it's hot. The cheese that every other pizza place I've been to uses cheese that tastes like cheese, but it doesn't have that al dente mouth feel the good cheese has. It's like you're biting into mush. The stuff Mellow uses is thick and has a bite too it, which is why I've always liked it.

- - - Updated - - -

My goodness! My son called and asked me to check out Mellow Mushroom Fleming Island's facebook page. They've gotten over 2,000 comments from all over the country, and Maj. Fulker's guys in Afghanistan made a Mellow Mushroom sign and had their picture taken with it! How cool is that! Sean just made it the main picture on their Facebook page.

My wife and I went to that Mellow Mushroom last night like we do every Tuesday, and I had to laugh when I walked in the door. Every table in the place had been pulled into one long row, and everyone sitting at the tables had a crew cut. I thought they were Army National Guard guys come to show their appreciation but they turned out to be from an Air Force unit that's training at Camp Blanding that's about 25 miles away. They had the place pretty well packed until close to 10:00. Not a bad bunch for being wing wipers. :)

Fiore’s has a place in Peters Township now. Not as good as the Brookline store.

Does not appear so.

Screenshot_20230319-200645~2.png

I was just wondering if @tpodwdog still checks in here
That guy was a complete jerkoff anyway.

The OP passed away long ago. Several members that posted in this thread don't come around anymore for various reasons.

Not a company but still thinking of those that served like my father. My wife and I were in Maine 2 years ago at a diner having Sunday breakfast and a WW2 veteran and his wife was next to us. We talked a bit and they finished and left after saying good byes, picking up sausages for the dog in their car. They ate there every Sunday so when the waitress checked us out I handed her a $50 bill and told her their next breakfast was on us, the rest was her tip and don't forget the sausages. The 3 waitresses started tearing up and said it was so nice what we were doing, I tear up when I think of what that generation did for us.

Auto Transport Service
Back