• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We restarted the 1971 Charger 500 project today.

SteveSS

Local time
3:32 AM
Reaction score
I have a mechanic guy that comes over and helps and we finally restarted the Charger. Here's the skinny. I bought this thing about 10 years ago. It's a pretty original car. Under 100K miles. When I got it, it had a 440 with a spun bearing but the purchase included the original numbers matching 383. I had the 383 hp rebuilt and installed. Very original except for the headers so I bought some original exhaust manifolds. I didn't install them though. I also have the original carb not installed. It's a real 500 so it's a strange mix of performance and luxury. I redid the front buckets. It has a console and floor shift, what's that called? Slap Stick? Power brakes, Power steering, AC, power windows, and hideaways. I had the black vinyl top removed and had it repainted with the original Hemi Orange. We put a new full exhaust on it when the engine was mounted. The engine has run for about 2 minutes since its rebuild. It hasn't been driven since it rolled into the garage after paint. One negative aspect is the front left fender was replaced so the tag is long gone. I mean it's not an R/T with a Hemi so it shouldn't matter too much. If any of you have a '71 500 I'd be interested in hearing from you.

We're putting the trim pieces back on after paint. It's crazy that I've let it sit this long! I'm gonna have a long list of parts I need so if you have '71 stuff watch for my WTB ads. I'm going to get it done and then sell it but I have no idea what I'm going to ask for it yet. I'll post some pics as soon as I get it wiped off.

Sounds like a good car. 500 had the good tail lights and rally gauges and yours is buckets, console and big block too.

Post in the 71 - 74 section forum

I was always a 68 to 70 Charger guy. I never paid too much attention to the 71 to 74 B bodies,but after hanging out with Gary and Pam,the 71 B bodies started to grow on me like some kind of fungus! Lol Now I have eight of them. I have six 71 Chargers,a 72 Charger,and a 73 Charger.

20221107_101507.jpg

20221009_170156.jpg

20220821_144237.jpg

20220620_200347.jpg

Dude, you have the sickness worse than most of us. And, I agree. It is contagious.

No doubt, my plan is to sell off four of the project third generation Chargers. I have someone who wants the 72 Charger, it is the red one with the white roof,the 71 Charger SE N code 383 car will be for sale in the spring,,it is the blue car with the yellow fender and red door. The 71 roller on the trailer is also going to be sold once I get the fenders and doors put on it. The 71 R/T the one with the black Ramcharger hood and red fender will be for sale too once I get around to finishing the metal work on it. It is one of only 332 440 4 speed Charger R/T cars built in 1971,and probably only one of one hundred with the N96 Ramcharger hood option. So hopefully within the next year I can narrow them down to the four I want to keep.

Last edited:
I was always a 68 to 70 Charger guy. I never paid too much attention to the 71 to 74 B bodies,but after hanging out with Gary and Pam,the 71 B bodies started to grow on me like some kind of fungus! Lol Now I have eight of them. I have six 71 Chargers,a 72 Charger,and a 73 Charger.

View attachment 1412628

View attachment 1412629

View attachment 1412630

View attachment 1412631
I always thought of them as 2 door Coronets. I didn’t realize until a few years ago the VIN started with a “W”. So I guess Chrysler felt the same way. They had to tame the styling to cover both models of the previous years.

I concour 71 Charger 500 cars are not often seen. They are an interesting package. I remember buying the rear bumper and R/T taillights out of a EL5 butterscotch N code 383 71 Charger 500 in a junkyard about twenty years ago for 100 bucks! Those were the days!

I used to be a 68-70 fan as well. That changed when I owned my 71 R/T, quite honestly I don't even noticethe 68-70 Chargers anymore. I just like the 66-67 and 71-72 Chargers now. I am kind of rebel in nature anyway, so I don't care for 69 Camaros either, if something has a big following I usually turn the other way. A lot of the deal is how nice the 71-2 cars drive though, probably seating position and lack of wind noise as well as the overall solid feel.

I like the 71 to 74 cars,but they will never replace the 68 to 70 cars especially the Chargers!

Auto Transport Service
Back