• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weight Bias / Scaling Your Car

66/440

Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for information on weight bias/front to back on early 60's Mopars. I have several and know that they are front end heavy. I am trying to figure out the best way to go about improving the handling and braking as it relates to weight bias. I know all the things you can do to remove weight from front but have never seen a discussion on exactly what impact it had on the vehicle. Additionally I am interested in the impact of moving weight back off the front wheels. I know there is a relatively easy way to move the drive train rearward 2 inches but don't know if it is actually worthwhile. If the 2 inch movement doesn't produce substantial results what would it take to do so, 3", 4" ? I know there are plenty of you guys who race your cars, and I am sure you have scaled them. Could you share your scaled weights and experiences with lightening and possibly rearward weight movement?

I have weighed my car, several years ago, but not scaled it. I would love to have a set of scales, but I don't.
You are obviously aware of the k-member swap from a 66 up, that moves engine and trans back a couple inches. I'm sure it helps distribution, but I don't think a great deal.
I think the easiest change is the most effective. Move the battery from extreme front, to extreme rear.
Just ballpark guesstimate, I think it can be a total of three percent or more improve ment, 1 1/2% from the front, 1 1/2% to the rear. Depending of course, on total car weight, and battery weight.
Everything I have ever tried to go fast in, had the battery in the trunk. It made a 5% change in my 2400 lb car.

I have weighed my car, several years ago, but not scaled it. I would love to have a set of scales, but I don't.
You are obviously aware of the k-member swap from a 66 up, that moves engine and trans back a couple inches. I'm sure it helps distribution, but I don't think a great deal.
I think the easiest change is the most effective. Move the battery from extreme front, to extreme rear.
Just ballpark guesstimate, I think it can be a total of three percent or more improve ment, 1 1/2% from the front, 1 1/2% to the rear. Depending of course, on total car weight, and battery weight.
Everything I have ever tried to go fast in, had the battery in the trunk. It made a 5% change in my 2400 lb car.
Good example, you may be a little light on your % estimate for the rear since the effect of the moment arm is longer (distance behind the axle).

Agreed. But again, I depends on car weight. Moving a 50 lb battery will have more effect on a 2800 lb a-body, than a 5300 lb imperial. Lol.
I was using measured weight of my b-body with me in it, and an assumed front end percentage.

When is there too much rear bias 51%? or more? What is the factory weight distribution by model? Is there a reference guide? I found 54% front 46% back for a '64 Belvedere Sedan as stated on this site by a member. Trying to keep this with in the scope of '62 - 65" to make it more manageable. Also really cant include driver weight as this is a ever changing variable, at least in my case LOL, currently on a downward trend!

Last edited:
That would be in the ballpark for my best guess, 53-55% on the front, for a 62-65 b-body. The big block e-bodys were 57-60% if I remember right.
My big block iron head all steel 62 was about 3250, last time I weighed it. Kinda depends now on what wheels, tires, and exhaust I have on it.

I have NO experience trying to make my b-bodies handle, manual steering and straight line go only.
I do know that the current mega horsepower drag cars are increasing front end weight, trying to keep them from going into a power wheelstand at half track.

I had my '62 Savoy Suburban weighed earlier this year (numbers below) using platform scales under each wheel in order to determine the wheel/spring rate. Based on the results, I switched the .88" t/bars for .92". I was surprised at the front/rear weight distribution.

Description: 440 V8, 4-spd., 8 3/4, 3.23, dual exh., front disc/rear drum brakes, 15x7 steel wheels, 225/70R/15 front, 275/60/15 rear (Cooper Cobra), manual steering, stock interior, no opt. equip., stock/rebuilt front suspension set to FSM susp. height of 1 1/2" + or - 1/8", .88" t/bars (P/N -776 & -777, 471 date code), 6-leaf rear springs (new 4 yrs. ago from Espo Springs N' Things), Gabriel Classic shocks.

Weight: 3,890 lbs., full fuel, no driver. (Note: a friends '62 Suburban weighs 3,830 lbs.)
- Lt. front 1,060
- Rt. front 880
- Lt. rear 970
- Rt. rear 980

Auto Transport Service
Back