• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weight transfer

I think it will depend a lot on the track. It might be sticky or could be a skating rink. Only one way to find out!
I doubt 1" will matter at all. You could try unhooking the front anti sway bar. Duct tape it up.Lol
With 9" slicks that thing can hook hard enough to hurt itself on just about any surface. The street tires will never hook unless you just drive it out like you would quickly on the street.
Doug

That has been working well on my street practice launching. Then slowly apply power after the clutch is fully engaged. The tires squawking all the way through first gear. It is easier on my thin clutch too. I hope.

You guys should see the road coming in to my neighborhood. It has a dead end past the last turn in. Looks like a drag strip. lol

I am going to swap my rear tires left for right before the weekend. They are feathered out pretty good.
Never have liked slipping the clutch on the launch.....and imo, it's easier on it to let it out quickly then mat it plus easier to be more consistent with that technique but it sounds like you have to roll into the throttle slowly because of the power available.

Never have liked slipping the clutch on the launch.....and imo, it's easier on it to let it out quickly then mat it plus easier to be more consistent with that technique but it sounds like you have to roll into the throttle slowly because of the power available.
Yeah, the weak clutch might protect everything else. Brown smoke show?

I'll be amazed if anything happens other than a giant mushroom cloud of clutch smoke.

I'll be amazed if anything happens other than a giant mushroom cloud of clutch smoke.
The clutch held up just fine. No issues really with it. And with three runs on borrowed slicks.

Car ran 12.89 @ 112 MPH

The clutch held up just fine. No issues really with it. And with three runs on borrowed slicks.

Car ran 12.89 @ 112 MPH
Sounds like you know what you’re doing.

Car ran 12.89 @ 112 MPH

That's good. Maybe I remembered incorrectly but thought at some point you said it was 600hp.

That's good. Maybe I remembered incorrectly but thought at some point you said it was 600hp.
That was the goal. Dont know how close I am. I did not launch very hard because of the thin clutch. Would my times have been better with a 3000 RPM launch, leaving the line like a cannon ball?

Last edited:
That was the goal. Dont know how close I am. I did not launch very hard because of the thin clutch. Would my times have been better with a 3000 RPM launch, leaving the line like a cannon ball?
That will make your times better for sure.
A slipping clutch should show up first in high gear.

A 4300lb 73 charger with dual sway bars and 3.23s setup for autocross.
In the right car I'm sure the 600hp would show back up.
At 505 and trickflows I would hope so.

I finished the engine 2 weeks ago. Put it in the car last week. Found a rebuilt a 950 DP 3 days before the drags. I have not done much tuning yet. Is it so bad to get a 4300# or more car with basic suspension in the 12's first time out?

No guy, just being a wiseass.
I think you did really well considering the combo and how long it’s been together.

I would get a wideband in it and make sure it's not too lean.

Your timing was in the ballpark so if mph is lower than expected for the power/weight ratio I myself would want to make sure you aren't hurting the engine by way of fueling being wrong.

Did you go through the traps in 3rd?

I would get a wideband in it and make sure it's not too lean.

Your timing was in the ballpark so if mph is lower than expected for the power/weight ratio I myself would want to make sure you aren't hurting the engine by way of fueling being wrong.

Did you go through the traps in 3rd?
I have a wide band. The 950 was in a ZZ502 before I got it so I thought it should be close. I had to open the primary pvcr a little and go up four jets sizes in the primary to get it to run low 12's wot. Yes, too lean can be a disaster. From here I can tune it for a bit leaner which should up the hp a little.

I went through the traps in fourth.

I have a wide band. The 950 was in a ZZ502 before I got it so I thought it should be close. I had to open the primary pvcr a little and go up four jets sizes in the primary to get it to run low 12's wot. Yes, too lean can be a disaster. From here I can tune it for a bit leaner which should up the hp a little.

I went through the traps in fourth.

Also check fuel delivery. Fuel delivery issues will hurt your mph and associated hp calculation. I presume you have 0.110” N/S in the carb. If so, 3.5 psi at the carb will be enough to support the 600 hp.

Also, DA, or other atmospheric data, plus 60ft, and 660’ data will help to see how big your tuning gap might be.

What track and what times were your runs? The atmospheric data will be available online.

If you auto cross I'm assuming stiff torsion bars and a sway bar. The exact opposite is needed for drag racing. In your case raising the front might help. But probably very little. 4 speed and stock suspension? Bias ply slicks would be the biggest single step you could make..
Doug
A car set up for handling will make a far better drag race car than a car set up for drag racing will be in an autocross.

Oh. I see the info in your other post.

Last edited:
Looks like the DA was probably close to 6000ft. That is a lot. Probably corrects to 118 - 119 mph

Auto Transport Service
Back