• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird tail light issue

jonny0666

Local time
1:58 PM
Reaction score
So I have a 71. I have power to the rear harness. I have power to the socket. I put the power probe on the new 1157 bulb and it actually lights the probe. But the bulbs don’t light. New bulbs. Any ideas?

Look at the bayonet socket....the contacts are spring loaded. One of them is probably hanging low.

I’ll check the socket. Grounds are good. Besides probe would have grounded it, no?

I’ll check the socket. Grounds are good. Besides probe would have grounded it, no?

No, the fact the probe lit shows there is no ground.... If it were grounded the wouldn't be power to light the probe....

Nice vid... it says nothing LOL. He is partially right but not every light of the rears runs throught the TS, just those related to the high intensity lights: brakes, turning and hazzards, because parkings and back up lamps not.

I'm not clear about what you said "I put the power probe on the new 1157 bulb and it actually lights the probe"

How you can put the probe on the bulb ? didn't you mean the socket?

the internal socket points not making contact with points on bulb could be a reason. Spring is not pushing out the backelite enough.

Ground... is the 71 Plymouth tail light housing plastic or pormetal ? if potmetal, is grounded via the chassis, so is hard not get ground there. Maybe good or bad ground but still must have ground. If plastic... did you attached the ground wire on tail light harness into the trunk ?

you can try the socket point with the probe light against the socket, and not anywhere in the chassis.

its potmetal, i believe. that or aluminum. I put the probe on the bulb, just on top of the socket, the brass bottom that sticks out from the socket a bit. I will have to check the contact points and the grounds.

ok, if pot metal then is grounded. A bad ground on it could cause a dim on bulb functions, but being pot metal is hard the ground is completelly missed to not light on at all

( I still don't get the probe on the bulb deal... but maybe just a language barrier to me )

As described above the socket is spring loaded and installing the bulb pushes it in and completes the circuit. When I got my 72 the sockets were in awful shape. I got replacements at the local parts store for the 1157 bulbs. I had to cut out the old bulb sockets with a dremel and used a ratchet socket slightly larger than the bulb socket to seat the new socket in the taillight housing. If that makes sense.
Whoa now that's a play on words.
If you end up putting in new bulb sockets pay attention to the wiring. There's a high filament and low filament in the bulb. It should all be grounded through the bumper to the body. On my 72 the grounds in the trunk on each side were for the rear side marker lights.

Auto Transport Service
Back