• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We'll measurements

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
Looking at a 15 by 10 inch rim online. 4 in backspacing and gives two more measurements. Negative 3 9 mm offset and 4 in rim width. Don't understand those last two. Little help?

Back spacing is taken from the outer lip of the rim. Width is taken from the inner lip of the rim. So a 10" rim will very close to 11" overall width. 4" back space would put the outer spacing to the lip at 7". That would calculate to 1.5" negative offset ( 1.5" is 38mm). The wheel will set 1.5" out further from the mounting surface than a zero offset wheel.
The math; 7 - 1.5 = 5.5, 4 - 1.5 = 5.5, 5.5 + 5.5 = 11.
Doug

Back spacing is taken from the outer lip of the rim. Width is taken from the inner lip of the rim. So a 10" rim will very close to 11" overall width. 4" back space would put the outer spacing to the lip at 7". That would calculate to 1.5" negative offset ( 1.5" is 38mm). The wheel will set 1.5" out further from the mounting surface than a zero offset wheel.
The math; 7 - 1.5 = 5.5, 4 - 1.5 = 5.5, 5.5 + 5.5 = 11.
Thanks for the help Doug

In other words..... unless you have a full radius open rear wheelwell opening... it probably won't fit.
Or a narrowed rear end.

Wheel well.

63 b body
It WONT fit, especially with a 275 on it.
I have some 15x8 1/2s that have too little backspace, 3 1/2 inches, that can only get a 225 under my 62 (basically the same wheelwell opening as your 63)
Your 10s with 4" bs will be 1/2 " closer to the springs, and an inch closer to the fender.
I also have some steelies with 4" bs, but 15x8. I got 255s on them, cause 275s were too close to the fender, and your wheel would be TWO FULL INCHES closer to the fender. Do you think that will work?
If you really want 10" rim, find one with 5 1/2" backspace, and you will have a chance it will fit.

Simple to see. Support the car on the rear axle housing with jack stand. Remove your rear wheels. Using a straight edge against your drum (or rotor) measure outward 7" at a radius that mimimics the tire diameter. If you have clearance beyond this figure it should fit. Make sure to check both sides. also remeber the tire side wall will bulge. But not at the outer diameter. It'll be roughly 1/2 way between the outer edge of the rim diameter and the diameter of the tire you are using. On a 275 60x15 this spec would be a diameter of roughly 22 inches. My bet is this wheel has to much negative offset. You can ensure the inside clearance with the same method. Compare the measurements to the inside vs the outside and you will know what offset you need. We run 275 M/T drag radials on a 62 with 10" wheels. It required moving the springs flush with the outer frame rail. On 8" wheels they fit with th esprings in the stock location. My 64 actually runs 12" wheels with 15.5" a section width slick. Original 1/4 panels and frame rails. It's very close but doesn't rub. But there are no leaf springs, no stock inner or outer wheel wells, and both the frame flange and wheel lip are trimmed
Doug

Last edited:
Really? I just eyeballed it and it looked like plenty of room.

This was my eye balling...

8" width 4 1/2" back spacing. Looks like all kinds of room.
20170809_201121.jpg

427523-787bd8a61aeb41dbf12dcac03fc53ce2.jpg

Mounted 275/60/15 Coopers. Too tight to the leaf springs.
20170905_111420.jpg

After using 1/4" spacers. Should have used 4 1/4" back space.
20170914_194640.jpg

It looked like the 4 1/2" back spacing was going to work before I mounted the tires. There's charts out there that will tell you the overall tire width on a certain width rim. Wish I knew that. The 4 1/4" back space would have been perfect.

Are you using the factory axle housing? The '62 - '63 are the narrowest housing among the B bodies. If it's been changed to anything else these specs will be different.

View attachment 1563263
View attachment 1563264

View attachment 1563266

View attachment 1563267

It looked like the 4 1/2" back spacing was going to work before I mounted the tires. There's charts out there that will tell you the overall tire width on a certain width rim. Wish I knew that. The 4 1/4" back space would have been perfect.

Are you using the factory axle housing? The '62 - '63 are the narrowest housing among the B bodies. If it's been changed to anything else these specs will be different.
....and the wheel he is talking about.... is a full 2 1/2" closer to the fender than yours.
It might work, IF he narrowed the rear about a foot, and moved the springs in three inches per side. (Slight exaggeration for effect)
Almost forgot.... he could torch the fender off. That would work too.

View attachment 1563263
View attachment 1563264

View attachment 1563266

View attachment 1563267

If yours is a 63 you have the exact same setup I do same tire what is the next size down rim with from 8 inch?

Auto Transport Service
Back