• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We'll measurements

This was my eye balling...

8" width 4 1/2" back spacing. Looks like all kinds of room.
View attachment 1563263
View attachment 1563264

Mounted 275/60/15 Coopers. Too tight to the leaf springs.
View attachment 1563266

After using 1/4" spacers. Should have used 4 1/4" back space.
View attachment 1563267

It looked like the 4 1/2" back spacing was going to work before I mounted the tires. There's charts out there that will tell you the overall tire width on a certain width rim. Wish I knew that. The 4 1/4" back space would have been perfect.

Are you using the factory axle housing? The '62 - '63 are the narrowest housing among the B bodies. If it's been changed to anything else these specs will be different.
I run mine closer to the springs than that on my street car. The slicks on the 64 have about 1/4" to the frame rail. No issues with rubbing. with either setup. Street car has been this way since the 90's.
Doug

I run mine closer to the springs than that on my street car. The slicks on the 64 have about 1/4" to the frame rail. No issues with rubbing. with either setup. Street car has been this way since the 90's.
Doug

You can't see it in my pictures too good. The clearance between the tire and the front portion of the leaf spring was about 1/8". Almost touching a spring clamp.

If yours is a 63 you have the exact same setup I do same tire what is the next size down rim with from 8 inch?

Mine is a '62. Looks like 7" width would be the next size down. The 275 tire recommendation is for a 7.5 to 9.5 wheel width. There might be a 7.5 width wheel out there but I don't know where. Maybe factory wheels? I think the 275 looks good on the 8" wide rim. The inflated tire width is around 10"

When I had my 64 Belvedere 2 door post car, I swapped the original rear for one out of a 66 Coronet. Using that rear, 15x8 factory Ramcharger wheels and 275-60's fit. The rear shocks were used Monroe load levelers, [with the springs] from a Chrysler Newport. That raised the rear of the car maybe 1", but I had no rubbing problems. i never really looked to see just how much clearance I had, but it was enough. :drinks:

When I had my 64 Belvedere 2 door post car, I swapped the original rear for one out of a 66 Coronet. Using that rear, 15x8 factory Ramcharger wheels and 275-60's fit. The rear shocks were used Monroe load levelers, [with the springs] from a Chrysler Newport. That raised the rear of the car maybe 1", but I had no rubbing problems. i never really looked to see just how much clearance I had, but it was .enough. :drinks:
Thanks. I was hoping to put on 295s 1560 with a 10 inch wheel that I already have. I'm not sure what size rims I have on there, I don't recall. We'll see what happens. Thanks again

Auto Transport Service
Back