• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Went to the track Friday. What should I try next?

My experience with shift points. First torque flites have a pretty long time lag on the 1/2 shift. They don't slip. Just takes time to fill the band servo. The quicker the car, the earlier you need to shift to hit your target rpm. This time remains constant, regardless of ET. The quicker the car, the earlier you need to shift. On the 1/2 I'd start 400 RPM early. Might even take 600 rpm early. Unless you have a playback tack or film the tach you'lll never know when it right. Second crossrams on a big motor don't like a lot of RPM. That intake was designed for a 413" motor turning maybe 6000 tops. They can be effective. when used in the correct range. For sure there is stuff thats quicker.
Doug

I am in Wisconsin too - where do you typically race, and isnt all of Wisco deer country :)

Historically these type of situations always seem to lead to a converter. Given that everything else is on point. But I suspect that intake, although bad ***, may be the first thing I would try and swap out.
I do have a playback tach and I did notice what you are saying about lag time. I'm a little east of Wausau (Shawano County). WIR is closest for me I have been going for their Friday night test/grudge. Still trying to get a hold of PTC and Ultimate. I punched in my numbers for convertor slippage and shows 15% slippage. Friday the 30th is WIR last night. I might be waiting till next spring. Or going down to Da Grove they run longer if weather permits

I do have a playback tach and I did notice what you are saying about lag time. I'm a little east of Wausau (Shawano County). WIR is closest for me I have been going for their Friday night test/grudge. Still trying to get a hold of PTC and Ultimate. I punched in my numbers for convertor slippage and shows 15% slippage. Friday the 30th is WIR last night. I might be waiting till next spring. Or going down to Da Grove they run longer if weather permits

I moved outta the fox valley in 2001 I think, and still raced at WIR quite a bit after in Top. Heck I think my old dragster is still there, maybe my old firebird too racing regularly. But its been so long, I really dont even know if any of the old mopar peeps are still there to refer ya to..... but I am sure there are plenty that are on hand to help. Jeff Frees was always good to me when I was younger, so was Kris Skenanadore - but I dont know if he races much anymore.

Byron races even longer, and is generally a LOT cheaper to TnT than others. Well compared to Rock Falls anyways they used to be a ton cheaper. Dang now I miss racing at WIR.

I moved outta the fox valley in 2001 I think, and still raced at WIR quite a bit after in Top. Heck I think my old dragster is still there, maybe my old firebird too racing regularly. But its been so long, I really dont even know if any of the old mopar peeps are still there to refer ya to..... but I am sure there are plenty that are on hand to help. Jeff Frees was always good to me when I was younger, so was Kris Skenanadore - but I dont know if he races much anymore.

Byron races even longer, and is generally a LOT cheaper to TnT than others. Well compared to Rock Falls anyways they used to be a ton cheaper. Dang now I miss racing at WIR.
Yea WIR is $30 for Friday nights. I was talking with a guy with a dart and another with a mustang really nice guys and they pointed Mr. Frees out to me and said he really knows is $hit. I didn't get a chance to talk with him though. I really like WIR if I can get this car figured out I want to run their bracket program next year.

Here’s my .02 on the current converter situation……..
A 9.5” converter that would provide the right balance of stall vs efficiency in that combo isn’t likely going to flash 5100rpm.

A really tight 8” would flash around 54-5600, and have better high gear efficiency.

Imo, what it really needs is a 9”( not a 9.5”), but not many converter suppliers deal in 9” units anymore.

The 9” Dynamic I had behind my 448 in my 3670lb satellite flashed 5300, and the high gear slip was under 10%.
That was something I bought 30 years ago.

All that being said, it’s pretty easy to go down the converter rabbit hole chasing after a tenth.

They're fun to change, but at least they're expensive.
:lol:

I'm familiar with Ron's car and build. The only real difference in our cars is he has flat tappet cam I'm roller. And the intake setups. He ran 10.70s-80s out of the box thru mufflers. I would be happy with 10.70. I'm going to do a compression check again and put the single plane intake on.
i believe he's running a Dynamic converter built for his combination,,4200 stall.

I'm going to leave the converter in the car for now and try the single plane intake. If it picks up then I know the intake is holding me back. If not I will look closer at motor. I did not assemble engine maybe cam is off. I did a leak down before taking it to the strip this year and that was good. I will address converter issue this winter. I don't look foward to laying on my back to change converter again not a fun job for sure. I tried 2 different converters with the old motor. Ron's engine build was the inspiration for my build. But now my goal is to bracket race this car. If I was going to street drive it I would run it as. I got the racing bug now. Lol

Do you know where the cam is installed at.
Are the carbs linkage adjusted for wide open.
I found on my car with 29.5x10.5w slicks it best 60fts were me launching no higher than 2500 rpm

Last edited:
Both Jeff and Tim Frees are good guys and great racers.
Doug

Do you know where the cam is installed at.
Are the carbs linkage adjusted for wide open.
I found on my car with 29.5x10.5w slicks it best 60fts were me launching no higher than 2500 rpm
I will have to look at my paper work. I know they degreed. I tried a couple passes stalling as close to 3000 before it would push and wasn't any quicker.

If you’ve decided the street use is now not as much of a concern as it was during the planning stages, the current cam uses profiles that are designed to not be hard on parts when used in a street environment.
There would certainly be “some” power to be gained by using a cam that had more high lift area(faster ramps), where the emphasis was more on making power than making life easier for the springs and lifters.
Are you running 1.5 or 1.6 rockers?

You’ll have to see if the converter efficiency changes with the intake swap.
Since it seems like you’re driving thru it a bit already, more power(from the intake swap) could make that situation a little worse.

If you’ve decided the street use is now not as much of a concern as it was during the planning stages, the current cam uses profiles that are designed to not be hard on parts when used in a street environment.
There would certainly be “some” power to be gained by using a cam that had more high lift area(faster ramps), where the emphasis was more on making power than making life easier for the springs and lifters.
Are you running 1.5 or 1.6 rockers?
1.5 Harlan sharps

Well I put the indy single plane intake with 950 holley HP carb on. I did a compression test and checked valve lash. The compression check I had 1 cylinder @170psi 1@180psi and the rest are 175psi. The weather looks good for this Friday I will post results.

Runs pretty good to me, but as mentioned, try a bit higher shift point.
I with I could get those 60' times. I'm still on pretty much stock suspension (added an extra leaf spring) with pinion snubber and KYB shocks.
Only getting mid 11's at 120 MPH at Bandimere in my 4200 pound Charger.

Runs pretty good to me, but as mentioned, try a bit higher shift point.
I with I could get those 60' times. I'm still on pretty much stock suspension (added an extra leaf spring) with pinion snubber and KYB shocks.
Only getting mid 11's at 120 MPH at Bandimere in my 4200 pound Charger.
At Bandimeres altitude, that's VERY respectable!

Well I put the indy single plane intake with 950 holley HP carb on. I did a compression test and checked valve lash. The compression check I had 1 cylinder @170psi 1@180psi and the rest are 175psi. The weather looks good for this Friday I will post results.

I am guessing you will see a pretty good increase. I am not too worried about port matched intake etc, that will have a slight effect - but not the amount I feel you are leaving on the table.

Good luck !

I am guessing you will see a pretty good increase. I am not too worried about port matched intake etc, that will have a slight effect - but not the amount I feel you are leaving on the table.

Good luck !
Thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back