• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s happening here?

Car #4

Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
Is this clear evidence of a rear main seal leak?

961A6B77-8E1E-4BB1-838E-34E344EE021C.jpeg

Maybe. Maybe not. Lots to look for. Cam plug, galley plug, oil sender, back of intake, back of valve covers. One thing the rear main and the others have in common. They drip from the bottom.

peek at oil sender on top of block near firewall area - agree with pnora

found mine was loose n flowing oil when engine was running - don’t recall if it make the crank wet though - looks like you have a drop of oil on it

looked like a rear seal leak

watermelon

But how do I check the cam and galley plugs with the transmission bolted on?

peek at oil sender on top of block near firewall area - agree with pnora

found mine was loose n flowing oil when engine was running - don’t recall if it make the crank wet though - looks like you have a drop of oil on it

looked like a rear seal leak

watermelon
Yes definitely a drop of oil in it. I’m fighting this issue on two 440s. Very frustrating. If it’s above the bell housing, as in valve cover, oil sender or back of head then how does the oil get to the crank on the outside? It seems to me that the contours of the back of the block would shed that oil to the outsides.

Yes definitely a drop of oil in it. I’m fighting this issue on two 440s. Very frustrating. If it’s above the bell housing, as in valve cover, oil sender or back of head then how does the oil get to the crank on the outside? It seems to me that the contours of the back of the block would shed that oil to the outsides.
Oil can wick between the transmission and block. It then can follow the rear face of the block and drip. Not saying thats what you got but have seen to many cases of starting at the bottom fixing and working your way up.

But how do I check the cam and galley plugs with the transmission bolted on?
You can't. Air up the motor with 5 psi. Then take a good look between the crank flange and seal retainer. And you still might be fooled. We recently had a unstoppable leak. Pulled the trans. Cam plug was cracked. We had a box of 10 from Dorman. They were all cracked.
Doug

Put a piece of cardboard under it. It's Horsepower Sweat.
It has a piece of cardboard under it, as do my other two oldies but I’m getting a little tired of it. Thought maybe I’d try to solve something.

Auto Transport Service
Back