• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s this for?

Car #4

Local time
6:51 AM
Reaction score
What’s the purpose of this notch out? There’s one on each side.

IMG_8181.jpeg

I'm just guessing here, open the headlights and see if the notch doesn't give you access to a headlight adjustment screw.

What car is it? Factory notch or someone put them there?

Would it have anything to do with holding the headlight doors open if the vacuum operators malfunction and you have to manually open them?

I don't have an answer but never needed to know either. Only thing I can think of is it may have been needed for the mold or something since it provides no purpose I am aware of. If it was needed for headlight aiming, they would need two more notches for the High beams.

Like a guy scaring the **** out of me yesterday saying I got took on my NOS Bee grill as it has a notch out of the passenger side and not the drivers! I had to look...

Notch is so you can get the headlight retainer ring screw on that side..
20240119_154540 (1).jpg

20240119_154526.jpg

20240120_125029.jpg

Can't say on a 68, but on the 70s, there were provisions for grill mounting holes that the factory didn't use.
Putting my friends grill together, we decided to make them functional.

On my 68 Charger I see a screw back there for something

Auto Transport Service
Back