• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What age do you consider a vehicle to be a classic?

How old is a vehicle when YOU would consider it to be a "classic"?

• 20+ years old

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 25+ years old

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • 30+ years old

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • 35+ years old

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 40+ years old

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • 45+ years old

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • 50+ years old

Votes: 9 16.7%

• Total voters
They changed the minimum age for antique tags from 25 to 45 years old in Arkansas a few years ago. I was all for that as I got tired of seeing clapped out 25 year sedans and pickups clunkers with antique tags. When I tagged my first old vehicle with an antique tag in the 90s, they made me take pictures to them showing all sides of the car to show it was restored or at least a well maintained and in good condition original vehicle. When I went back a few years later to tag my 67 GTX I took a bunch of pictures with me to the tag office. They said, oh we don’t need those anymore. That’s when all the old clunkers started showing up with antique tags - a bad decision on their part I think.

There is a specific list of classic cars that has been compiled, newest being 1948.
Approved Classics | Classic Car Club of America
Of course there are other terms for historical cars with definitions, Antiques which many states define as over 25 years old, vintage, historical and special interest. Vintage, Historical and Special interest are the classifications that perhaps need their definitions clarified?

The CCCA is the official list of ACTUAL cars considered to be "Classic". They have been the historic arbiter of what constitutes a true Classic for over 75 years. Notice there are nearly NO post-WWII cars on the list. Several Chryslers, but no Dodge, DeSoto, or Plymouth.

To me, the various state DMV officials classify a "classic" by year/age only, to simplify vehicle registration as car and trucks approach a certain age, generally 25 years. What it is doesn't matter to the State.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back