• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What all components are needed for the pop up headlights 1970 dodge charger

No. The 1970 models are unique.
You might have to request pictures of all of the parts. Your situation is a tough one....You don't know what is missing and you don't know what the parts look like. I've been there. 22 years ago I bought an incomplete '73 Challenger and had to fumble my way through the rebuild looking for parts that were missing.

Here are a few pictures.

CBE447C6-A85D-4FEF-BC76-74577DA7F104.jpeg

That thin grayish rod goes through the motor which is attached to a bracket using three bolts.
That rod attaches to the inner ear of the headlight door.

06D259D3-FFF3-44F5-B41E-03CF35984A12.jpeg

Door motor:

A33F7F48-ABAD-41E5-ACEF-B05AB93501B7.jpeg

The bracket that supports the door motor:

DBF4FD50-B059-4A43-B86F-03B0AD0B7EAC.jpeg
5F16D6E6-538E-4CC6-BEB3-16B3F98F866A.jpeg

I’m sure that you could make one.

You can see how it is mounted:

17BFC221-5A41-41E2-BB19-A966F2720B6C.jpeg

6BFF3FD1-8034-4279-AD0B-B3EA355E6633.jpeg

There is a steel panel that fits above and below the grille.

image.jpg

image.jpg

That is the best that I can do without taking the car apart.

Last edited:
Kern if you can do pictures of the inside of the headlight doors I would appreciate it. Your pictures are amazing. I realize what I am missing from the stock system. Trying to see how I can get the (SmartTpants)TM 68 69 headlight conversion to work. If it does work I am going to post up a thread with the support of you on a new post of the all new 1970 dodge charger motor replacement. I have talked to the owner of the company and ironically his warehouse is only an hour away in Indiana. So this will be very big for the community and any custom fabrication will be showed step by step if this works. Our contribution to the charger community.

It seems like all I need is the motor and the rod. Which I found both of those on ebay. I am going to make sure the mounting bracket bottom part where the motor sits on is still there. Which it is on ebay as well.

I am curious what all parts are invol ed in the pop up headlights. Also how it works and where to get missing parts for this.
I want to thank everyone. After thinking outside the box. I hit up a company from Google that does replacement kits for the 1968 and 1969 chargers. I sent the pictures of what I had and pictures that you guys posted of your 1970 Dodge Chargers. He told me that he had nothing he could mix match to make it work because the platform from the 68 and 69 charger brackets were completely different. Ironically the owners business just happened to be from Indiana. I told him that I was on a very big Chrysler/Dodge classic muscle car website and he gave me a sponsorship and told me to take my Charger to his shop and he would make a hideaway headlight kit for free and start selling 1970 Dodge Charger replacement headlight kits. I took the car to him 3 weekends ago and thanks to everyone on this post we just made the only 1970 Dodge Charger replacement motor and bracket assembly on the internet!!! The business is called Dicksters SmarTpants located out of Roanoke Indiana!! He offers all kinds of hideaway headlight kits for Classic muscle cars.

I want to thank everyone. After thinking outside the box. I hit up a company from Google that does replacement kits for the 1968 and 1969 chargers. I sent the pictures of what I had and pictures that you guys posted of your 1970 Dodge Chargers. He told me that he had nothing he could mix match to make it work because the platform from the 68 and 69 charger brackets were completely different. Ironically the owners business just happened to be from Indiana. I told him that I was on a very big Chrysler/Dodge classic muscle car website and he gave me a sponsorship and told me to take my Charger to his shop and he would make a hideaway headlight kit for free and start selling 1970 Dodge Charger replacement headlight kits. I took the car to him 3 weekends ago and thanks to everyone on this post we just made the only 1970 Dodge Charger replacement motor and bracket assembly on the internet!!! The business is called Dicksters SmarTpants located out of Roanoke Indiana!! He offers all kinds of hideaway headlight kits for Classic muscle cars.
No pictures?

If anyone just needs the original Chrysler supplied motor, I believe it was used into the 90’s, last application the ‘91-‘92 K car Imperial and LeBaron. All those fwd 80’s New Yorkers have it. I bet they still show up in the boneyards.

All 1970 model cars with concealed headlights had to use an electric motor to open the headlight doors. It was Federal law.
So sorry for the late response to this statement, but which law was it that forbade vacuum operated mechanisms for hidden headlamps? I just wondered, because the Corvette used them until 1982.

Heck, man....I read it in Mopar Action magazine. Ehrenberg is usually pretty well informed.

Auto Transport Service
Back