• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What car were you driving the first time you clocked 100 mph or more?

My 69 Charger. 1984 or 1985. Got to 100 easy and still going, shut it down.
My one and only time doing that.
Good news is I still have the car!

My first car, a 51 Buick Special, straight 8, dynoflow. 105 mph was wide open and there was no more.

My '69 Charger R/T, 440/4 speed.
In 1975, let off at 135 mph.
The previous owner of my current 1968 Charger R/T said he saw 150 mph in 1970 on a new stretch of interstate here in VA.

did 135 in my 69 charger rt/se ,dam I miss that car

Christmas Day 1962, my father's 300F, 125mph on the Northway (I-87) near Albany NY. Or, better: 120mph plus (speedo didn't read higher) in my 63 Fury 383Vert, uphill, at 7358' MSL, US Air Force Academy access road. Or...660 Knots Indicated in an F-16...but that's cheating!

'65 Coronet 500, 273 auto. It would bury the speedo, time & time again, back in the mid '70's. Maroon, with a black vinyl top. Hoping I find an old picture of it someday for my shop...

64 Dodge Dart Convertible 105 mph. My first car ($200) in 1972. 225 slant six, Three on the Tree transmission. I rebuilt motor with a mild ISKY cam, Clifford Research 4 barrel manifold and Headers. I finally got tired of that worn out trans and shift linkage and swapped in a 904 push button automatic. I sold that car to my Nephew and bought my 73 Roadrunner GTX in 1976. I wish I would've kept that Dart. My Nephew destroyed that car in less than a year.

Although I had my first car at 15.... 1969 Charger 318 with 3.23 gears..... I think my first 100 was probably in my folks 75 Grand Torino 4-door with a 351W. I'm not 100% sure.

When stationed in UK 66-68, they imposed the first speed limits on Motorways. Previously, none! The day before the limit went into effect, one could stand by the road and see fast cars, very fast.
As to 100mph, i had a Lotus Elan, the most efficient car I have ever owned: 1300lb, 1558cc, 105hp, and when the 6500rev governor intervened, I was going 112mph, safely. In those days the Bobbies were on bikes, unarmed, and Blighty was a most genteel place.

1st time at 100 was I think a 1967 Mercury Cougar , 390 auto, That car was a pig out of the hole but would fly top end , approx 1977 time frame . ive had several Mopars at that and beyond, 1969 GTX vert ( with top down and mother in law in back seat screaming her head off btw ) and a few times in a friends hemi Superbird .

last time was maybe 30 years ago on my 1986 Suzuki GSXR 750, lets just say it was way Way WAY past 100 when I smartened up a slowed down.

1970 Torino Cobra, Papago park (former POW camp) and the army post, on the back road between Phoenix and Scottsdale,. If your not familiar it's up and down like a roller coaster track. Not sure how many times all 4 were off the road, but I'm sure there's still finger indentations on the arm rest. 117 was the the number and a ride I won't forget.

1970 Torino Cobra, Papago park (former POW camp) and the army post, on the back road between Phoenix and Scottsdale,. If your not familiar it's up and down like a roller coaster track. Not sure how many times all 4 were off the road, but I'm sure there's still finger indentations on the arm rest. 117 was the the number and a ride I won't forget.
I was born in Phoenix and spent my youth in the area. You bring back memories of traveling down those roads as a kid. Dad would speed up from dip to dip (from all the washes) down those vacant roads us kids begging him to go faster.

1st time over 100 was in a 1971 Chevy Malibu 307/auto. Fastest I've driven is a little over 110 mph in my 67 Satellite chasing my buddy in his 71 Charger down I-95. Felt like there was more in it, but the front end was starting to float and we were coming up on some other cars so I backed it down.

Papago park (former POW camp) and the army post, on the back road between Phoenix and Scottsdale
If that backroad was called McDowell Rd, it certainly isn't a backroad anymore. But it's not uncommon to see someone doing 117 mph + on it. Speeding and donut-ing is very common in the greater Phoenix area. About a year or so, 2 guys racing south on Scottsdale Rd in the middle of the day, one lost control doing over 120 and needless to say lost his life. Luckily he didn't even hurt anyone else. He gets crazy here.

If that backroad was called McDowell Rd, it certainly isn't a backroad anymore. But it's not uncommon to see someone doing 117 mph + on it. Speeding and donut-ing is very common in the greater Phoenix area. About a year or so, 2 guys racing south on Scottsdale Rd in the middle of the day, one lost control doing over 120 and needless to say lost his life. Luckily he didn't even hurt anyone else. He gets crazy here.
117+ past the prison? McDowell is full of stop signs. But that's west valley.

117+ past the prison? McDowell is full of stop signs. But that's west valley.
Don't know about any prison on Mcdowell, I've been here 35 years and McDowell is a very busy street controlled by traffic lights in both directions for all the time I've lived here. Seems like it's been a long time since you've been here, however, we still get 115 degree days here. Just like today.

Auto Transport Service
Back