• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What could drain the battery?

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
Hey All,
I have a 1969 rr and I'm trying to figure out why there is no power, not even the lights. I tested the battery with a meter and it was charged. I hooked up the battery and tested it again and it seems like it was dead, nothing? Could there be something that is draining the battery, its a new battery. I put my meter at the starter relay and nothing? Could it be a bad battery? It was running until I changed the steering box out but the battery would need charging because it sat. Could something be drawing off the power from the battery? I don't want to get another new one because this is new. Oh when the battery was charged and I hooked it up I would get a lot of sparks hooking the terminals up.

what did the meter say when you tested it? 12+. So the car ran with new battery and then you pulled the steering gear box. Now the car is dead. Correct

Did you unhook batt before working on car?

what did the meter say when you tested it? 12+. So the car ran with new battery and then you pulled the steering gear box. Now the car is dead. Correct

12+ it read. Yes correct, the car is dead.

how long was the car sitting for this project? Advance auto charges battery for free

how long was the car sitting for this project? Advance auto charges battery for free

It was at a classic car place. I charged the battery no problem and it did run. Why would the terminals spark when I hooked them up?

it is common for a spark when 1 is hooked up and putting the other 1 on. Do you have an aftermarket radio and amps?

It was at a classic car place. I charged the battery no problem and it did run. Why would the terminals spark when I hooked them up?
Because you have a short somewhere in the electrical system, or something is left on. That’s what’s draining your battery.

so it was at a classic car place when you changed the gear box?

Because you have a short somewhere in the electrical system, or something is left on. That’s what’s draining your battery.

Hmm a short, how can I find that? When I took my header studs out I did get anti freeze on the starter, but the battery was disconnected.

so it was at a classic car place when you changed the gear box?

No I bought it at the classic car place in Washington. It was shipped here, they told me it needed a new steering box.

it is common for a spark when 1 is hooked up and putting the other 1 on. Do you have an aftermarket radio and amps?

OK, I guess that's not it. It has an aftermarket radio but its very old. No amps.

Twice I have replaced a battery and had the same problem. Dead cell right off the shelf. Not common but is can happen. That said, a dead cell should still have enough voltage to light the lights.

Did you check the fusible link on the bulkhead connector?

Pull all the fuses then see if you still get a spark when hooking up the battery. If not replace one fuse at a time to see if you get a spark there.

Useing a volt meter for each of these procedures is better. Between the battery terminal and battery clamp. Across each fuse terminal with fuses removed, ect.

Check for a fuseable link in your srarting circuit also and see if it's bad.

Twice I have replaced a battery and had the same problem. Dead cell right off the shelf. Not common but is can happen. That said, a dead cell should still have enough voltage to light the lights.

Did you check the fusible link on the bulkhead connector?

Where is the fusible link? is it easy to get too? Its funny I just checked the battery not hooked up and had 12+ volts. I hooked the cables up and nothing?

Hey All,
I have a 1969 rr and I'm trying to figure out why there is no power, not even the lights. I tested the battery with a meter and it was charged. I hooked up the battery and tested it again and it seems like it was dead, nothing? Could there be something that is draining the battery, its a new battery. I put my meter at the starter relay and nothing? Could it be a bad battery? It was running until I changed the steering box out but the battery would need charging because it sat. Could something be drawing off the power from the battery? I don't want to get another new one because this is new. Oh when the battery was charged and I hooked it up I would get a lot of sparks hooking the terminals up.

Sparks when you connect the battery means something is drawing.

Edit - I was about to repeat what @khryslerkid said...

I’ll add this, if it was running fine until you changed the steering box, I’d look at the bulkhead and starter / starter relay wires. Maybe you jostled something while dealing with the column.

Hmm a short, how can I find that? When I took my header studs out I did get anti freeze on the starter, but the battery was disconnected.
You can pull out your fuses one at a time, check for sparks at the battery. Unhook your alternator, horn relay, starter relay, etc... You shouldn’t have sparks when you connect your battery. By the looks of your bulkhead connector in your other post, you’ve got more problems than just a dead battery.

Auto Transport Service
Back