• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What could drain the battery?

Glovebox light, trunk light? Alternator shorted internally thru a diode?

I will have to try this. Where is the fuseable link located?
Just to answer your question, a fuseable link looks like the one in your picture.
Screenshot_20190414-230224.jpg

If that wire even goes there, it needs replaced by the looks of it. Its all frayed up at the bulkhead connection.

To test one, you use your ohms meter to see if current flows through it.

OK, get this. I only connected the positive wire to the battery and got a meter reading at the battery and the starter relay??? What the heck is going on?

Could you try re-wording this.

OK, get this. I only connected the positive wire to the battery and got a meter reading at the battery and the starter relay??? What the heck is going on?
Clean the battery box or temporarily put a non conductive material under the battery and try that again. The battery hold down is not shorted on a battery post?

Glovebox light, trunk light? Alternator shorted internally thru a diode?

Its a strong draw, when I connect the battery it immediately goes dead, I'm think alternator.

Clean the battery box or temporarily put a non conductive material under the battery and try that again. The battery hold down is not shorted on a battery post?

Checked the battery mounting, no problem.

Just to answer your question, a fuseable link looks like the one in your picture.
View attachment 750402

If that wire even goes there, it needs replaced by the looks of it. Its all frayed up at the bulkhead connection.

To test one, you use your ohms meter to see if current flows through it.

Could you try re-wording this.

If I have both terminals of the battery connected the battery goes dead because something is drawing the power. If I only connect the positive terminal then I get a meter reading at the battery and starter relay which I don't get when both terminal are connected.

Well, I thought I found the problem, my two wires where they are crimped was touching each other on the starter. I moved them apart but still have the same problem. Do you think something like that could have toasted the starter relay?
I would think that might burn the fusible link before the relay. That's what the link is for. Just like a fuse, it will melt at a much lower temp. Just grab the fusible link and flex it. If it's good, it will feel like any other wire (some resistance), but if it has melted, all you have left is the insulation and will be very flexible.

I would think that might burn the fusible link before the relay. That's what the link is for. Just like a fuse, it will melt at a much lower temp. Just grab the fusible link and flex it. If it's good, it will feel like any other wire (some resistance), but if it has melted, all you have left is the insulation and will be very flexible.

I will take a look at it, thanks!

If I have both terminals of the battery connected the battery goes dead because something is drawing the power. If I only connect the positive terminal then I get a meter reading at the battery and starter relay which I don't get when both terminal are connected.

If you're getting a meter reading, I'm thinking you are using the meter to complete the circuit with the negative terminal being disconnected.

If you're getting a meter reading, I'm thinking you are using the meter to complete the circuit with the negative terminal being disconnected.

Yeah, that's sounds about right...

Well tonight I got the starter out and hooked up the battery, no draw and everything worked! The starter was bad and causing the parasitic draw! I was surprised that a starter could draw that much amperage, when I hooked up the terminals it would spark real bad. Thank you to all the people that helped me figure it out! By going by your suggestions I found the problem!

Good point. Another test would be to disconnect both battery leads,l
Well tonight I got the starter out and hooked up the battery, no draw and everything worked! The starter was bad and causing the parasitic draw! I was surprised that a starter could draw that much amperage, when I hooked up the terminals it would spark real bad. Thank you to all the people that helped me figure it out! By going by your suggestions I found the problem!

Awesome. Yep, fried starter windings would be a dead short to ground. Makes sense!

Happy Mopar-ing.

How did that happen? There should be no juice to the windings till the starter solenoid engages.

How did that happen? There should be no juice to the windings till the starter solenoid engages.

I don't know but it did! I was wondering how it could happen too. Maybe the starter solenoid got stuck on?

Great news! You still need to address the rest of the wiring in your car though. Sure would hate to hear you had a fire.

Great news! You still need to address the rest of the wiring in your car though. Sure would hate to hear you had a fire.

Yes, I will address that, looking at wiring harnesses now. Boy what a mess my wiring is! Thanks!

The starter was the problem. I replaced it and it worked! Thanks to everyone!

Auto Transport Service
Back