• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What could it mean?

I agree that you should really do some homework before spending the money for a 'supposed' hemi car. It might be worth a shot to send an e-mail to Galen Govier. He might be real interested in this car. This could be a very unusual car, so I would use all the expertise that I could (including us, LOL). As far as being a police car (and I have not personally seen a hemi police car), the ones that I have seen have either had a normal fender tag or a secondary tag with 'special order'. I do know that for, at least, a couple of years in the late 60's the Maryland State Police used hemi cars on I95. Let us know what you find out.

I have seen a Hemi Police Car. It was a 1965 Belvedere (I think) driven by one of our County cops. In the 60's you had to buy your own car if you wanted to be a county cop in Tennessee. lol

I will certainly check for the trunk VIN. I don't know much about the Roadrunners, and certainly very little about what key things could be flags to watch for. I appreciate the help everyone has given, and I will know more Monday or Tuesday after the inspection. I am leaning towards the clone thought, and I'm not sure that I have enough information to carry on an intellegent conversation with Govier, but it is a great thought, and I can pick up some useful information. Even if it is a replica, I am very interested in the sorta-hemi car.
Any bets on the trunk VIN?

Looks like a 22" radiator in the car versus the 26" which should have come with the hemi. Unless my eyes deceive me. Also what is up with the heater core lines just dropping off near the shock tower? The little heater core bypass hose cost too much? I suspect that thing probably runs hot. Have you driven it?

But that aside I think 69coronetrt's concerns are probably the main things you have to look out for.

I have never seen the car in person, and the seller keeps moving the inspection date back. I am going to pass on it. I found another 69 Hemi RR in Florida that has a replacement engine, and I am going to have that car inspected this week. An original J code, automatic, and very clean. I'll know more soon.
Thanks for the help.
Sunger

The VIN on a police package, second letter was K.

All my police pack cars (3) have full fender tags. Back in 69, the VIN also let everyone know. Special usually meant test, race, or even a measure car for the production line.

I'm still looking to find out whether there were any WK45 cars - this would be the Dodge Coronet 6-passenger wagon cop cars made. I've got specs on all the regular Coronets, including wagons, bees, RTs, etc - just no numbers for the K package.

Interesting, thanks. It appears that it is one of those things that we'll never know. It has a stock radio and undercoating, but those could have been added later, so your theory of test or race seem possible. The serial number indicates a somewhat early production, but I have no idea about the measure car thing. It is a car that I would love to have, but I am a cautious about. There would always be the what if factor with this. What if it were a race car. What if it were a car built for preformance tests. What if it is a fake.

The Hemi available to the general public in a production car through a Chrysler dealership had a 10.25 compression ratio and two four barrels. The race Hemi had a 12.5 compression ratio and was not available to the general public in a production line car but could be purchased separately through most dealerships. It was possible to special order a vehicle during that era and I won't say that the Road Runner you speak of was not delivered to the original owner with the race Hemi, it may very well have been.

As far as horsepower, the 10.25 engine was rated at 425 but by most reports I've read exceeded 500 just a bit. What little I've read on the 12.5 race engine the horsepower exceeded 600 from the factory.

Back in the late '60's and very early '70's a lot of factory 10.25 Hemi's were rebuilt with the 12.5 hard parts within a year or two of their initial sales date.

The VIN on a police package, second letter was K.

...I'm still looking to find out whether there were any WK45 cars -

and the 7th letter was A. This car has a G.

Per the white book, there were 70 WK45*9A shipped for sale in US.

9 /6s
32 318s
15 383-2
14 383-4

Gentlemen, it has yet to be established that the tag pictured is the original and only tag that came with this car. Until you can establish that as a fact, then all the posts are just guessing.

Quit guessing 'cop car'. Quit guessing 'race car'. Quit guessing anything and prove this is the original tag before you speculate as to what it means.

I'm leaning toward rebody/something shady going on.

and the 7th letter was A. This car has a G.

Per the white book, there were 70 WK45*9A shipped for sale in US.

9 /6s
32 318s
15 383-2
14 383-4

Gentlemen, it has yet to be established that the tag pictured is the original and only tag that came with this car. Until you can establish that as a fact, then all the posts are just guessing.

Quit guessing 'cop car'. Quit guessing 'race car'. Quit guessing anything and prove this is the original tag before you speculate as to what it means.

I'm leaning toward rebody/something shady going on.

I see no guessing,Only people offering suggestions.

How do I tell if the tag is real?
There was an inspection done on the car yesterday, but I have not received the report yet. I asked the inspector to check for a VIN on the trunk lip. He said he would check, but he said he would not remove the seal to get at it if necessary.
I'll let everyone know what the inspection says when I get it, but I appreciate any thoughts you have.

Also..........

A couple of points so far overlooked is that the 69 Hemi cars had the frame area where the rear springs attached to the body, (at the front) boxed in. And that most 69 Hemi cars used a skid plate welded to the K-menber.

I believe all the hemi's , (and A12's) in 69 were built at the Lynch road plant.

Anybody seen a Mopar that did not come off the assembly line without a regular data tag ??

I haven't.

STAY FAR FAR AWAY

A
I believe all the hemi's , (and A12's) in 69 were built at the Lynch road plant.

A12's were built at LR. Hemi Belvedere and Coronets at LR and STL. Hemi Chargers at Hamtramck and STL.

I see no guessing,Only people offering suggestions.

Responses based on the assumption the tag is original to the car, legit or even came on this car are guessing; not suggestions.

Verifying Hemi specific build items, like Bluefury mentioned above, would be far more productive in determining the legitimacy of the car than relying on the fender tag.

It's held on with screws. The tag could have come from any number of sources.

How do I tell if the tag is real?

The tag is probably 'real' but not from this car. You said yourself there are no provisions for a second tag which is where the special handling tag would be placed.

Do not make any decision based on a screw on part.

That car is a fraud. The vin number clearly shows the sequence number as 179825. The rubbing on the body shows 46?564. Not even close. There are several things I can see scary in the little pics provided and the radiator is one of them. There are no holes for a second tag. And what really scares me is how the owner is acting. He needs cash fast, but keeps pushing back the inspection date. He is hoping for a cash deposit and will run run run with your money. Don't touch that car!

No sale

I had the car inspected and the report came back indicating a much poorer condition than the seller stated. That's a huge surprise, huh. The seller is in rehab in FL, or so I thought. The guy I was talking with is in rehab, (alcohol) but he was not the owner. The guy who ownes the car is in Colorado, and this guy was trying to sell it for him. The deeper I dug, the smarter I got. I don't believe the car is an original hemi, and I passed on the deal. It actually was an interesting experience, and I appreciate everyones help and knowledge while I was looking. You can probably buy the car for low 30's now. I'll be happy to give you the number of the seller. Gotta figure the engine is worth at least $12,500.
I am still in the market for a car, but I have decided on a 69 GTX. I am looking at a few different ones right now, and they are a lot less drama.
Thanks again everyone, and if you know of a clean GTX, let me know.

Way to go, and good for you for not getting burned. I have dreams in my stable sits a RR, GTX and Charger all 69 lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back