• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what did you call it

69 mayflower

Local time
11:15 AM
Reaction score
Since members here come from all over the country and world, it got me to thinking, what did (or still do) you call going out cruising in your hometown? Back in the day in my hometown it was popular to say we were "dragging the gut" or " puttin'" or just simply "draggin' main". What did you call it in your corner of the world?

"The Circuit". Allentown, Pa.

lets ride and be obnoxious!

toughies, tough laps, hooning, mole scanning,

"einen brennen lassen" (let it burn) or "der alten Dame mal die Knochen kramen" (to rummage the ol' ladys bones) we call it here in germany :D
Sorry but i don't know how to translate this correct. :)

440Steve;910148254"der alten Dame mal die Knochen kramen" (to rummage the ol' ladys bones) :)[/QUOTE said:
I like that one! Imagine telling Mom & Dad that, when asked what you were going to do Friday night!

In Colorado, we called it "draggin' Main" (we really had a Main Street). In Oklahoma, it was "cruisin' the strip".

Going to "The Cruise" or "The Main" or "Beavertown" {when we were on the hunt}
which was in my early days was Main Street & Locus St. in Walnut Creek Ca.

the lowrider's all called it "Dragin Main"

we jokingly called it "the parking lot" too, because it was so damn slow

then hanging out at "Encino Grande" just a Safeway parking lot,
every Friday & Saturday nights to all hours in the AM,
that all the gearheads/racers went to shoot the chit/bench raced & arranged street races etc.

Clayton Rd. or Monument Blvd. in Concord/Pleasant Ca. or the cruise in Antioch Ca.
I don't remember any real nick name just "cruising 10th st. or cruising Clayton" etc.

J street cruise in Sacramento Ca. it was "Making the Loop"

Sacramento Ca. Sunrise Mall just "the mall"

Modesto Ca. was "graffiti run"

Fairfield Ca. was "windy city"

Cupertino Ca. was "vatoville" or "lowrider central"

Marysville & Yuba City Ca. was "mini truck central"

Santa Cruz Ca. was "Surf or Gash City"

East 14th in the East Bay S.F. Bay Area,
went thru San Leandro Oakland Emeryville Berkeley Richmond San Pablo Pinole etc.
was called "gangland" or "the Point" {like gunpoint} like West Pittsburg Ca. too

I think it was more who you were hanging around with,
that the "nick names" were for a certain cruises, more in you group...

The hole was one place where drag racing took place....Ritzy was a drive in hamburger place where cars were always circling until a parking spot opened up but even then guys still circled it. Oh man, CRS is kicking in lol. There were just so many places to go including meeting up in Foley's parking lot after closing. It was common for at least 100 cars to show up on Friday nights then around 11 everyone would haul *** to a private industrial road to race.

Cruisin' the Gut (Main St)

I remember my dad saying Cruisin' the Gut (downtown Lansing) back in the sixty & early seventy's. I was never able to get a car until recently, honestly not sure what they say around here now.

At 3 miles per gallon did good to make it the 25 miles to town and buy gas to get home again.

Auto Transport Service
Back