• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you NOT drink ?

It's easier for me to say what I do drink, actually - that list is very short:
diet-dr-pepper.jpg
By the case, every week. Ed's life blood, pretty much.
Doc got me to switch to diet 25 years ago because sugared drinks were "unhealthy"...
This was the only one I could tolerate. Now, total addiction.
About 5 years ago, doc saw me in the store loading cases and said "you're not still
drinking that stuff, are you? It's BAD for you!"

If I didn't like the man so much, I'd have decked him right there on the spot....

The other life-blood:
ce37521f-c9bb-4451-9de1-9dea9ef626c0_1.c6b30c9cc5129a0340970263bb8744b9.jpeg
Cumberland Gap Mountain Spring Water.
Comes from Cumberland Gap, "window to the west" (also a gorgeous national park) about
an hour from here. The water surfaces from natural aquifers in the mountains artesian-style.
They run it though sediment filters and bottle it, that's it.
It is the only bottled water I've ever liked because it tastes exactly like the best well water,
like I remember from childhood at PawPaw's farm.

I've been in several bottled water plants in the area and it would shock you what most do to
the water before they bottle it...

Other than that, I'm not allergic to beer (a nice amber something off the tap, please) and I grew up
drinking pretty much straight milk (had my own gallon in the fridge most of the time). Mama also
never had soft drinks in the house - but we drank a shitake-ton of KoolAid for sure.

Jack fkn Daniels !!!

I got on a binge in my younger years and started drinking Jack. I'd go to a dance hall with a fifth and a six pack of cokes. A couple of hours later I'd have four cokes left and the fifth was empty. The next morning I'd be deadly ill and it would last all day. The following weekend I'd do it all over again.

One day after a night out, I got up and went down to my car to get something and there was my car still running, headlights on, radio blasting and the driver's door wide open. That was the last straw. Gave it up completely and never touched Jack again. Like others have said about certain drinks, I can't even stand the smell of it anymore.

Booze of any sort. I can do a tiny sip and appreciate (or not) it, but any more and my stomach tells me no. Can manage a couple beers and enjoy them, much more than that and I feel crappy.

Gatorade...... Colonoscopy prepping soured me on that "Refreshing" drink!
Never did like Gatorade but the 1st time for a colonoscopy, the stuff to drink was so terrible that I couldn't finish it all but the doc said everything was clean when I asked....sure didn't remind me of Gatorade though. The 2nd colonoscopy the stuff was much better tasting.

The original true Gatorade tasted AWFUL!
AGREE!!

Milk. I grew up on a dairy farm and picked too many flies and cow **** out of it as a kid to ever drink it. Just as well; turns out I am lactose intolerant.
Lived next door to a dairy farm for 2 years in the 4th and 5th grade and learned quite a bit going over there to help out during that short time. I'm not lactose intolerant but just these days only use milk if the recipe requires it and even then, that doesn't happen very often. The dairy farm had milking machines and never saw anyone milking by hand.....

Jack fkn Daniels !!!
Used to drink JD in the 70's but got where I didn't like it anymore and just the smell of it turns my stomach. Lots of beer does that to me too.....Butt Light and Miller are two of them. I can drink many two Millers and that's it but don't want anything to do with Bud reg or Light.

Used to drink JD in the 70's but got where I didn't like it anymore and just the smell of it turns my stomach. Lots of beer does that to me too.....Butt Light and Miller are two of them. I can drink many two Millers and that's it but don't want anything to do with Bud reg or Light.

That's a funny thing about Bud products, some can drink it some can't. I always said it was the hops. I'll get a headache halfway through a can of it. And it's a bad headache too. Can't drink it.

Southern Comfort. I had a bad night with that some 40 years ago. Still don't even like the smell.
Haven't had Southern Comfort in years. Not long outta school, and buddy I got on a kick drinking it. One night around the holidays, I made some peanut butter fudge. Had some along with the SC. Gave us gas that would peel the wallpaper.
Another night a buddy and I were driving around in his '70 Charger drinking beer. He had me try some vodka he had mixed with some juice. Tasted pretty good, so I finished off the small bottle. Was working at a local restaurant, and I don't even remember getting home the night before. Wehn I got up the next day I had the mother of hangovers, and when I went into work, I was on grill, and liver was on special. After the third trip to the bathroom, the boss sent me home since I wasn't feeling it well. Haven't touch Vodka since that night in 1986. As far as pop Dr Pepper is just nasty.

That's a funny thing about Bud products, some can drink it some can't. I always said it was the hops. I'll get a headache halfway through a can of it. And it's a bad headache too. Can't drink it.
It's a combination of the Co2 and the fact that all the nasty chemicals are left in the beer during fermentation. It isn't as common with distilled spirits. When distillers beer (fermented mash) is put in the still, the distilling process separates all the compounds and elements. Many distilleries throw that stuff out because of the off flavors and harmful chemicals it produces. Good bourbon rarely gives you a headache. Cheap bourbon sometimes will. Cheap whiskey definitely because the cheaper the bottle the more junk they leave in the mix. Wine is even worse because of the phenolic flavonoids and biogenic amines. (tannins and flavonoids) Red wines are usually worse that white and some folks are more susceptible to headaches than others. If you are one of the chosen few, you may also be bothered by aged cheeses, cured meats and dried fruits that can all trigger reactions. Distilled spirits have conogers other than the ethanol that is the hearts of the process. Some of the conogers are harmful in concentration like Acetaldehyde, Acetone, Esters, and Methanol and are removed in the foreshots and heads. Those chemicals are not removed in beer brewing or wine making and even though they are in a low concentration, they can still cause headaches. Sorry for the ramble but like my son, you ask him what time it is and he will tell you how to build a watch! :lol:

Last edited:
It's a combination of the Co2 and the fact that all the nasty chemicals are left in the beer during fermentation. When distillers beer (fermented mash) is put in the still, the distilling process separates all the compounds and elements. Many distilleries throw that stuff out because of the off flavors and harmful chemicals it produces. Good bourbon rarely gives you a headache. Cheap bourbon sometimes will. Cheap whiskey definitely. Wine is even worse because of the phenolic flavonoids and biogenic amines. (tannins and flavonoids) Red wines are usually worse that white and some folks are more susceptible to headaches than others. If you are one of the chosen few, you may also be bothered by aged cheeses, cured meats and dried fruits that can all trigger reactions. Distilled spirits have conogers other than the ethanol that is the hearts of the process. Some of the conogers are harmful in concentration like Acetaldehyde, Acetone, Esters, and Methanol and are removed in the foreshots and heads. Those chemicals are not removed in beer brewing or wine making and even though they are in a low concentration, they can still cause headaches. Sorry for the ramble but like my son, you ask him what time it is and he will tell you how to build a watch! :lol:

Excellent explanation. Pretty much reinforces what I suspected.

I do find it interesting how one flavor really pleases one person while being a huge turn off to someone else.
I never liked beer. Some wines are okay. I don't see how anyone can like Liquor. I have tried several and just cannot see the appeal. The taste is terrible to me. Every person that I see drinking booze makes a facial expression of discomfort or distaste when they take a drink. I don't understand that. If I winced every time I did something, it seems that my body is trying to tell me that I don't like it.
Straight black coffee? My Dad drank it that way. I never could get into it. Coffee has to be dressed with all sorts of other stuff for me to be able to drink it.
I love Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Coke, root beer, Ginger Ale.....Orange and grape juice. I like Milk but it has to be cold.
I never liked Buttermilk. Dad loved it.
Egg Nog? Oh heck yeah!
I do drink lots of water.

I don't drink beer, to filling for me. Never drink Soda of any kind, except rum and coke. 2 percent milk

I drink beer specifically because it’s so filling. It’s my compromise to quitting altogether. If I drink to excess I can occasionally go all Godzilla wrecking Tokyo. I promised when I got married that my wife and child would never see that side of me so now I just drink beer because I can’t hold enough of it to go crazy. Very occasionally I will have a bit of hard stuff, but I’m super paranoid about overdoing it.
As a side note, back in the day my record for beer consumption was 24 Canadian beer in an afternoon/evening football afternoon. One buddy passed out at 18, and another buddy also had 24 and drove me home.
We seemed bullet proof then. Now I just shake my head.

I drink beer specifically because it’s so filling. It’s my compromise to quitting altogether. If I drink to excess I can occasionally go all Godzilla wrecking Tokyo. I promised when I got married that my wife and child would never see that side of me so now I just drink beer because I can’t hold enough of it to go crazy. Very occasionally I will have a bit of hard stuff, but I’m super paranoid about overdoing it.
As a side note, back in the day my record for beer consumption was 24 Canadian beer in an afternoon/evening football afternoon. One buddy passed out at 18, and another buddy also had 24 and drove me home.
We seemed bullet proof then. Now I just shake my head.
When I was an apprentice, my boss could drink 24 cans (a tray) of beer.....and still drive home. He shouldn't have, but he did.....most Friday nights. Times have changed.

I don't drink much beer and what beer I do drink is my own brew. I like stouts and they are 6-8% and full bodied. You don't want to drink too many. I drink very little soda and don't mix it with good bourbon. Coffee in the morning and filtered water through the day. An occasional glass of milk.

beer.... can't even finish a bottle.... just don 't like it
I actually LOVE the smell of red wine. I love the smell of coffee too. It is strange to love the smell but not the taste.

Auto Transport Service
Back