• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you use for a battery?

Sneke_Eyez

Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
Looking for a new battery for the Coronet so I can work on it tomorrow night and actually get it to run.
Car is a 1969 Coronet 440 Model with a 318 and a bone stock eletrical system from 1969 (aside from an added FM modulator).
It didn't come with a battery and the one I was given just gave up the ghost.
I need something that is going to last for a few years at least.

Currently thinking of getting this:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...a-autocraft-gold_2130000-p?searchTerm=battery

Autocraft Gold Size 24 with 700 Cold Cranking Amps.
Getting it from Advance will mean that I can use a coupon on it and get it for a much better deal, plus theres one 3 minutes from where I work.

Out of pocket it looks like about $80 for a $110 battery since I have a core.

Anybody have opinions on that battery or suggestions on something better for the money?
What do you use for a battery, ie: what does it put out for CCA/what size is it?
Unfortunately I'm not ready to spend Optima prices on a battery right now, plus I've heard of issues with them recently.

Thanks!

IMO, Optimas sell because they look cool. I've got a basic black O'Reilly's lead box with a vintage Mopar Batteries decal on it, and it's four years old now. Sits in the basement (not on concrete) from December to April, gets trickle-charged in spring, and causes no trouble as long as I remember to hit the shutoff switch since there's a phantom drain somewhere in the @#$% wiring. :icon_neutral:

Easy on the wallet! :grin:

Attachments

• Three_potato_LED.jpg
    Three_potato_LED.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 234
Because I always follow rumors, hearsay, and old wives' tales! And I'm superstitious, too. :grin:

I never put one on bare concrete either. BUT, it's not because people say concrete "sucks the life out of them". Sulfuric acid has a chemical reaction to concrete and can stain and even eat at the concrete's surface. I have a little piece of wood I use.

Now a days, "leaving a battery on the floor will kill it" is a myth. Back in the day when Batteries had rubber or even wood cases there could be transfer of electrolyte through the more porus case creating a conductive path through the damp floor, thus draining or......Like RatRod brought up, the old non sealed batteries would seep lead acid on your floor, staining/ruining it

im gonna let you guys in on a little secret. this was given to me by the same old timer i refer to occasionally. you know what kills the battery???? its NOT concrete....ITS DUST AND DIRT ON TOP OF THE BATTERY !!

when dust and dirt settle on a battery...a charged battery will drain because of the conductivity between the pos(+)...and the neg (-) CONDUCTED BY THE DUST AND DIRT.. in ever so minute amounts over time.....LIKE WINTER . concrete has nothing to do with it and never has ! humidity will do the exact same thing ! this is why you should keep the top of your battery clean........ALWAYS!

*** THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT***

I have a about 3 year old heavy duty Duralast... I like them seem to work good for me.

Nothing but Interstate for me I have had them last 7-8 years.My dad had one last 10 years!!!!!

Nothing but Interstate for me I have had them last 7-8 years.My dad had one last 10 years!!!!!
Interstate batteries have a good reputation. There are only 3 or 4 companies manufacturing batteries in the US and they are sold under many different brand names. NAPA batteries are made by Exide and I have had good luck with them. Like TPOWDOG says, Keeping a battery clean will go a long way towards a long service life. One good thing about Optima and other AGM batteries is that they never leak, but they are kind of spendy.

Group 27 Delco 7 year. Yeah, I know, but I get them at a very good price as I stock them at the shop.

Gettin back to the subject. I get whatever's on sale at wal mart. Ain't but like 3 companies in the world make batteries.

Someone once told me there are only four battery manufacturers out there who make batteries under a variety of names. Advance may not have the best ones, but they seem to have stores just about everywhere around here and will R&R a defective one for you on the spot. They prorate the old one if there's any warranty left on it. I've had fairly good luck with their batteries.

The dealership I work for buys Delco and Interstate for replacement batteries but I suspect that has to do with those vendors giving us a good price more than anything else. We sometimes buy "blems" for old cars we trade for that are going to be wholesaled. I bought one for my Cordoba because it has been sitting while I do the stuff I want to do with it. I remove the negative cable when I am not working on it. For $35 I figured I couldn't get hurt to bad...unless It decides to bite the dust in the middle of no where. I probably should get a AAA membership.

Actually, I got the Delco not because I got a good deal on it, but because in several tests I've seen it rates fairly high on actually performing up to spec. A lot of popular "premium" batteries didn't. Interstate and Delco were tops.

I used to be a big fan of Exide (how do you pronounce that?).

I had one in my 73 Challenger when I had a collision with a culvert.

Battery fell between rad and fan.
Chewed off 1/3 of the top, but still started the car and drove for 2 miles.
Unwedged and put back in batt tray, then started again, and lasted 2 months with 1/3 of top missing and one dry cell!

Now THAT'S A BATTERY!

Run an Optima red top in my Z06 corvette. Will buy an Optima for my Road Runner once the standard battery dies out.

My uncle always talks about how when he used to go buy batteries, the salesman would ask him what brand he wanted and pull a sticker from under the counter and slap it on top.. Said every battery he sold was from the same company, only difference was the name he stuck on the side.

On a daily driver, or a ride that is not immaculate under the hood?...Conventional batteries are fine. I have them in my families daily drivers. Got off the wallet for an Optima Red Top for my restored Belvedere. Why? Because it is fully restored and over the years I have experienced overcharging in one vehicle and a battery explosion in another. The damage incurred under the hood would just cost me too much to repair on this car. In the big scheme of things, the extra $50 up front (Autozone had them on sale AND with a $25 rebate online) I know I could save big money in the long run, should something go wrong. Caustic acid getting expelled all over under the hood causes plenty of paint damage.

Auto Transport Service
Back