• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does this 2 mean?

nutz4spd

Local time
6:18 PM
Reaction score
I was decoding the numbers on my 413 and have most of it figured out except for the #2 next to the date. I know the block is a 1965 413 mfg on Jan 19th but I can't find what the two represents. Any ideas?

20230421_113207[1].jpg

On later engines, it means second shift, for sure, hence the big HP HP2 controversies you see so much. 1965 is the first year for the full engine size stamping, ie 413 instead of just 41. Not much changed after that, so I think you are safe to assume second shift assembly.

What does the Maltese cross indicate?

I find it difficult to believe that the factory would tool an exterior emblem specifically for cars with engines that were built on the second shift.

...if that's what you're saying about "HP2".

I think there is a casting mark on the side of the block near the date casting that shows a clock hand pointing to either D or N.

I think there is a casting mark on the side of the block near the date casting that shows a clock hand pointing to either D or N.

cast into the block? I've seen that; but it would indicate when the block was cast, not when it was assembled

Maltese Cross crank stamping R 5/6 7/8 rod journals M 5 main journal .001 undersized .
acrank.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back