• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What exactly is going on here?

Holtzer1

Local time
3:19 AM
Reaction score
Got to looking at the quarters of this 71 RR and noticed this. The passenger side is the non factory lense, and the indent where the lense bezel from the other side is too small to put a factory lense and bezel there.....
Not exactly sure what's going on here or what to do. The drivers side quarter is being replaced. I guess it's possible for me to cut that section out of the quarter and weld the correct lense pocket there?

Screenshot_2016-11-08-11-01-09.png Screenshot_2016-11-08-11-01-12.png

the one on the left is correct....the other is from 72 and others....

Hmmm someone put a 72 quarter or patch on it maybe?

Well damn....that's what I was afraid of.
I thought that quarter seemed to be in oddly good shape compared to the other side. Guess I'll get a lower patch for that one to make it right. It's only money right? Lol

The only 1/4 panels you could buy for decades only had a provision for the 72-style lens, someone just went with it and figured, you can only see one side of the car at a time. lol.

Take note of the position of the 71 lens as it's in a different spot than the 72.

Now that repop sheetmetal is available, that might be the way to go but a good sheetmetal/body man should be able to open that up and mimic the pocket from the other side. I've had it done with a set of 68 fenders on a 69 model. GL.

Does the front match the rear on the "72" side?......just wondering.

Can we see the whole car??? now that we know what your marker lights look like..LOL

I didn't like the side marker lights on my 72, so I made 1971 templates (stainless steel), cut out the proper hole in the factory sheet metal, and then bonded the templates to the inside. This gave my "new" 71 side markers the proper indentation. The only "problem" is the side marker lights are a little lower on the quarter panel than the original 71 models because the holes for the 72 models were stamped a little lower for some reason.

template foto1.JPG pass rear beforet.JPG pass rear after.JPG

Just one more note, it seems aftermarket foam gaskets for the large off-white plastic inside portion of the side marker lights may be only half as wide as the factory gaskets (but I guess they still work OK).
IMG0044A.jpg

Just shave them off completely and put a 68 marker light in there much cleaner look!

Auto Transport Service
Back