• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a 8 1/4 rear end worth?

Hell I couldn't give away a C-body 8-3/4" with a 741 and 2.94s....

problem is we here exist in a bubble..... there really aren't that many of us....... and we are spread out, so shipping parts is an issue anyway

most seem shocked when there is no interest in a solid 4 door.......or an 8 1/4 rear for a hundred bucks

someone has to A) want it...... B) be willing to pay for it...... C) be close enough to make sense......

The forward look era cars can use 65-68/69?? C bodies rear end to do away with the annoying tapered axles they came with. If I remember right, perches are within 1/4” and drum to drum is similar, so it’s a drop in.

problem is we here exist in a bubble..... there really aren't that many of us....... and we are spread out, so shipping parts is an issue anyway

most seem shocked when there is no interest in a solid 4 door.......or an 8 1/4 rear for a hundred bucks

someone has to A) want it...... B) be willing to pay for it...... C) be close enough to make sense......
Yep...there might be 10 guys in the country that could actually use it, and another 10,000 saying "hey that's good stuff! It's worth xyz.."
Finding that guy that needs it, and then getting the logistics worked out is near impossible most times...

I would have took that! A-body width and a lunchbox locker, here we come!
Well that figures! I wasn't really active here at the time, or I'da met you on the grapevine and you would've had it for a burger and fries!

Yep...there might be 10 guys in the country that could actually use it, and another 10,000 saying "hey that's good stuff! It's worth xyz.."
Finding that guy that needs it, and then getting the logistics worked out is near impossible most times...

Well that figures! I wasn't really active here at the time, or I'da met you on the grapevine and you would've had it for a burger and fries!
Would have tossed in a twelve pack to boot! LOL!

This is sad news. Years ago, I did have one out of an A Body. That one sold right away. But as you guys are saying the B Body is a different story. It lasted behind a 400 for 50 years, so it can't be that bad?!?

This is sad news. Years ago, I did have one out of an A Body. That one sold right away. But as you guys are saying the B Body is a different story. It lasted behind a 400 for 50 years, so it can't be that bad?!?
Its not just that its out of a b-body. The earlier axles (typically an 8 3/4) are narrow enough to use in an a-body with the right wheel offset. The 71-up axles are too wide to use in anything but a late b-body or c-body.
Its not garbage. But finding anybody who needs one, and is local, is HIGHLY unlikely.

Save the brake backing plates and hardware, emergency brake cables, the vent bolt/brake line splitter, and the lug studs.

If you really feel like doing work, the left hand ring gear bolts.

Auto Transport Service
Back