• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a 8 1/4 rear end worth?

Myasylum

Local time
3:50 AM
Reaction score
I have a 8 1/4 rear end with Highway Gear from a 1972 Satellite. 2.83 or something like that.

I have it for sale at $100.00 doesn't seem like anyone wants it. I thought it would have some value??

Thanks!

I have a 8 1/4 rear end with Highway Gear from a 1972 Satellite. 2.83 or something like that.

I have it for sale at $100.00 doesn't seem like anyone wants it. I thought it would have some value??

Thanks!
Problem is that it's a lighter duty axle for a wide wheelbase, full size car. A more limited number of people will want it.

Add some tags like "Rat rod" (what sold mine from a 71) or "driver project", and someone will find it. That's a fair price if it's good.

8.25's are somewhat valuable to A body guys that have a 7.25.

...but that 71-74 B axle is one of the widest 8 1/4 units made, and not really any use on an A body.

Yea, someone was looking at it for a Dodge Diplomat. He was asking me if it would fit. I had no idea! So, he passed.

F/M/J body axle is only about 1.5 inches longer than an A body axle.

That 71-74 B axle is the same width as some C body axles!

Not much value, I used to save the backing plates/ drums for a 8.75 and forget the rest. By the time I moved out, my father was an expert at disposing of 8.25 rears.

A 2.94 ring and pinion (and carrier) might be worth a few bucks to someone that has 2.76, or God forbid a 2.4.

...and as stated the backing plates and brakes also work on 8.75.

It's actually a 2.71

I hate to junk stuff like this. It's lived for 50 years... and off to the scrap yard?
Although after putting on 3.54 Strange 60 it's a completely different beast I have to admit. :)

That axle was used across a number
years in pickups and vans. Light duty
1/2 tons. You may try that market.
Mine is out of an 1985 Dodge
Diplomat police cruiser. It has a
sure grip, and has been shortened
3" per side to fit a custom tube
chassis.
20190424_172949.jpg
20190108_101210.jpg

There must be some interest in the 8 1/4 if Hemmings wrote an article about building it years ago.

However, I think what you are up against is a marketplace of people who are flat busted.

Damn near every time I drive to work I'll see at least two cars broke down on the side of the road. Not the same two cars either, two different cars every time. Usually stuff from 90's-2000's. I think people are dredging up pretty much any vehicle that will run, and pushing it until it breaks. I suspect maintenance is not only not being done, but beyond what can afford to be done.

I'm also seeing people humping it on foot. Not just around town, but between cities on the interstate. Tens of miles of travel on foot through farmland with no access to water unless they're carrying it.

I've never seen signs of economic distress like this before.

Haha, my first RED X.
Have to disagree with you this time.
I have one in my 64 truck, how it got there who knows. Junking it was certainly my plan as I searched for an 8 3/4 to properly replace it. Finding an 8 3/4 on my el cheapo budget has become nearly impossible. My junkyard owner buddy came right out and said why don't you just keep it? He has several Durangos and Liberties with sure grips and disc brakes and can be had for $150 or less. XJ Cherokees used them for years, and they held up to lots of abuse.
Cheap rear disc brake conversion?
Anybody done this?

20230624_154420.jpg
20230624_165457.jpg
20230624_165547.jpg
anyone good at date coding?
Here is the suspect weak link in my ratty truck. Identified as an 8.25 with a 3.21 gear which may be getting replaced with a Durango SG rear.

Haha, my first RED X.
I have one in my 64 truck, how it got there who knows. Junking it was certainly my plan as I searched for an 8 3/4 to properly replace it. Finding an 8 3/4 on my el cheapo budget has become nearly impossible. My junkyard owner buddy came right out and said why don't you just keep it? He has several Durangos and Liberties with sure grips and disc brakes and can be had for $150 or less. XJ Cherokees used them for years, and they held up to lots of abuse.
Anybody done this?

I have all the parts for the cheap disc brake conversion on 8 1/4 (supposed to also fit 8 3/4). The Scare Bird brackets will no longer be easy to come by.

F/M/J body axle is only about 1.5 inches longer than an A body axle.

That 71-74 B axle is the same width as some C body axles!

OK, what's to disagree with?

Am I not correct?

Haha, my first RED X.
Anybody done this?

op asked what it's worth........ I see zero resale value.

I have 8 3/4s out of a 68 and 70 B..... both would need work, but would happily donate one to anyone here who needs one, even you Mr. red x :poke:

Yea, I just changed to to make offer, and no one seems to want it. Not even an offer.

The problem with your rearend is several
1. It's not a strength improvement for anything but a 7 1/4
2. It's too wide to fit most anything that came with a 7 1/4
3. It has no desirable gear ratio
4. It is open (I'm assuming)
So unless you find someone with a blown up 8 1/4 out of the same car as yours..... imo, it's scrap.

I had an ‘81 Mirada back in the late 80’s I gave my brother. 318 2bbl/904. I think that had one of those. I offered the 8 3/4 out of a ‘68 318/904 Sport Satellite as he was thinking of a 440 conversion. Even in those cars it was considered the weak link.

Auto Transport Service
Back