• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is in my fuel tank?

If you have a local radiator shop (getting to be fewer and fewer around here), they can boil it out. I've had it done many times, gets all the varnish and sealer out. Comes out pretty clean. Doesn't remove rust, though. Last time I had it done, a few years ago, I think it cost $35.

If you want I can have a look through my receipts to see where I got mine from. I don't remember it being that expensive. It wasn't summit, I checked my order history. I think it was from Ebay, I feel like it was closer to $450 aud landed...

You could also clean out the one you have the best you can then use quality sealant like the fuel tank seal kit from KBS. I used that on my Supra when I notched the fuel tank, worked well.

Thanks to all for the suggestions/ideas.

My conclusions so far -
It ain't varnish - it is a liner coating put in there, presumably to stop a leak, that has peeled. Is it Urethane? Epoxy? Bacon? Alien Life Form? I don't know. Acetone softens it but doesn't dissolve it. I'm thinking that the only chemical that might work is methylene chloride (paint stripper). Evil ****, no thanks. "Cracking" it open IMO is not a viable option - how would Humpty be put back together again?! Most Radiator Shops here (aside from also disappearing rapidly) are unwilling to touch fuel tanks. Either way, in the end I'd have a tank with no crap in it, but will likely be leaky and need further repairs. Fabricating a custom is no go - it has to be OE style - it's our registration laws on LHD cars here.

I contacted 521restorations.com. They list on eBay and are part of the "global shipping program" - a far better $116 shipping (as compared to $218 by Summit), which is at least a thin sugar coating on the turd flavoured horse pill...:(

Last edited:
I feel your pain on the shipping. I need a tank shipped to ireland.
Sympathy for you mate. Our AUD (i.e. Pacific Peso) atm is at 0.74 USD. When I bought my car 5 or so years ago it was parity. Hoping your exchange rate is not too bad!

Jeff at 521restorations is unbeatable with the eBay global shipping program.

Cheers I'll have to keep and eye on his stuff

his eBay store - http://stores.ebay.com/521-Restorations?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Cheers!
cheers.jpg

cheers.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back