• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the correct WIX "long" oil filter number?

62maxx

Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
Greetings,

I currently have a FRAM PH8 (A) "long" filter on my 1971-383. What is the correct WIX "long" filter number? There were at least 5 different cross ref. numbers....

Thanks,

beeoilchangesept252021 020.JPG

And the racing one is 51515R.
The racing version is great for racing, but not so much for the street. In racing, they're assuming that you'll have fresh oil every race. With its 61 micron size, the R version doesn't filter out small particles as well, but therefore flows better at 28 GPM, while the regular 51515 filters down to 21 microns but flows less at 7-8 GPM.

The racing version is great for racing, but not so much for the street. In racing, they're assuming that you'll have fresh oil every race. With its 61 micron size, the R version doesn't filter out small particles as well, but therefore flows better at 28 GPM, while the regular 51515 filters down to 21 microns but flows less at 7-8 GPM.
Agreed and thanks!!

I second the Donaldson filter. I seen it first hand on a fuel filter for my pickup, almost 50% more media than the Wix I pulled out. I can’t remember micron numbers but they were better also.

The long one gets you 6 quarts with the factory pan. Very tight and I have to loosen the fan shroud to change the oil but I want the 6 quarts. This is with a Wizard aluminum and shroud. Factory radiators may be different.

IMG_3677.jpeg

The long one gets you 6 quarts with the factory pan. Very tight and I have to loosen the fan shroud to change the oil but I want the 6 quarts. This is with a Wizard aluminum and shroud. Factory radiators may be different.

View attachment 1546727

what are you really going by doing this other than more expense and inconvenience? Aren’t you just trapping more in the filter, not increasing sump capacity?

what are you really going by doing this other than more expense and inconvenience? Aren’t you just trapping more in the filter, not increasing sump capacity?
Increased media area means increase in flow before bypass opens. And cooler oil.

Extra filtration room with the larger filter and some additional cooling with the increased capacity. 5 to 6 quarts is a 20% increase which allows more dwell time in the sump where the heat removal occurs.

Wix 51515 on my 62 Belvedere and 69 GTX. Never an issue. I buy a few at a time. :)
20230425_173103.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back