• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the deal with the @ symbol?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
3:32 AM
Reaction score
It has become more and more common to see someone mention a member in a thread by attaching the @ symbol to their user name. For example, @themechanic. I know that it creates a hyperlink to that user's stats and other info but if you want to see that you can simply click their name in the left hand column of the thread.

So, why do some people go out of their way to do it? Am I missing something important?

For example, @themechanic. I know that it creates a hyperlink to that user's stats and other info but if you want to see that you can simply click their name in the left hand column of the thread.

So, why do some people go out of their way to do it? Am I missing something important?

It sends the user an alert letting them know they were mentioned...

They moved the goddam thing on the iPad keyboard. Millennials.

@khryslerkid ...did you send @themechanic an alert?:D
@kiwigtx I certainly did!
886e0184b7a5c73bbaf641f60832d459.jpg

Actually I was wondering the same thing. Is that a relatively new function?

It's rather helpful when you want to invite someone to a thread. Also good for annoying people with alerts. :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back