• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the going rate for a 5 speed manual conversion setup?

this was silver sport quote to me for the T56 for my 66 coronet 727 just as fyi. $7500 - installation to be done myself

i got a passon 855 quote and $6500 approx

watermelon

425E94A9-CF81-4C8D-AD19-E43D8732BBCE.jpeg B423CBD2-47BA-4275-B9E4-6C67A8DEED89.jpeg 5D76789F-3EC3-4BE7-8DC4-32EFBA3FF67E.jpeg 67F9F43A-0AB5-4140-B57F-515486708950.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve done two conversions using American powertains TKO600, one ebody and now a bbody. Here are the pics of what I had to do to make it fit in the charger. Can share the costs for parts if you want. All labor was done by me.

67095E4D-1F13-41CC-A0B5-BD132F380DF6.jpeg
643AFDC0-30EB-4C1C-8D89-FE6E030E6EEC.jpeg

Wow...Sticker shock!

ya...i havent pulled trigger on a kit yet because i do not know if my crankshaft is drilled/ready for manual trans. i came across different posts saying it needs to be drilled. no easy way to check.

also complicating my decision is that my 727, 2.94 truetrac rear, and 26.1” rear tires behave so nice for what i do that i really shouldnt mess with a good thing

watermelon

Last edited:
B96BC310-DE04-434C-A822-0B69078E54E9.jpeg
This is the quote from Silver Sport for the TKO. Under 4k to the door with the upgrades. I’m confused about the 6k quotes here. This is the 5 speed.

Generally speaking, the forged crank engines are drilled for the pilot bushing. They aren’t finish honed, so you’ll need an undersized OD bushing.

Some guys with a non drilled crank, wack the tip off of the input shaft and use the roller bearing that locates in the large crankshaft orafice

The quote from Silver Sport for the TKO. Under 4k to the door with the upgrades. I’m confused about the 6k quotes here. This is the 5 speed.

For you, all you needed was the transmission and the clutch setup. Many others are needing everything....New bellhousing, clutch/flywheel/pressure plate, trans crossmember, shifter, clutch and brake pedals and linkage, drive shaft, etc. I'm working from a point where my car has always been an automatic. I'd need everything!

I did a swap from 727 to TKO-600 with a kit from SST about 3 years ago now. Their kit for the swap came complete with every single thing needed for the swap, including driveshaft, the only exception being the console top plate and boot, although they did include a bracket to move the shifter over centered in the console. It was right around $6500 for their kit. That included the shift upgrades to the transmission. Customer service from SST is great too, they'll spend as much time as needed on the phone with you to figure out any issues.

I did a swap from 727 to TKO-600 with a kit from SST about 3 years ago now. Their kit for the swap came complete with every single thing needed for the swap, including driveshaft, the only exception being the console top plate and boot, although they did include a bracket to move the shifter over centered in the console. It was right around $6500 for their kit. That included the shift upgrades to the transmission. Customer service from SST is great too, they'll spend as much time as needed on the phone with you to figure out any issues.
How is it working. Miles?

How is it working. Miles?
I guess I've put about 6000 miles on it now. I have issues with the rear seal leaking a little bit of oil out onto the driveshaft like I think I remember reading you've had with yours. Replaced it a few times now and can't ever get it to stop leaking completely for long. Last time I did it was in the spring and it's been better but still dripping just a little bit now. Other than that it's been great. I love having the overdrive gear for the highway and I feel like it shifts really smooth, although it felt a little clunky until it got broken in good.

I guess I've put about 6000 miles on it now. I have issues with the rear seal leaking a little bit of oil out onto the driveshaft like I think I remember reading you've had with yours. Replaced it a few times now and can't ever get it to stop leaking completely for long. Last time I did it was in the spring and it's been better but still dripping just a little bit now. Other than that it's been great. I love having the overdrive gear for the highway and I feel like it shifts really smooth, although it felt a little clunky until it got broken in good.

I had the slow rear seal drip on the ebody too :-( interesting to hear others have as well.

My automatic leaks sometimes. These cars were not built with the best "Oil retention" design. My 2007 Ram 1500 has 314,000 miles and does not leak at all. Anywhere.

I did get a quote from the guys at SST. $6500 for a complete kit with the hydraulic clutch. I've been selling some car parts to keep from digging into savings too far!

I was doing some number crunching.
The new Tremec 6 speed in the Challenger R/T and SRT has similar ratios to the SST Tremec 5 speed for 1st through 5th. The Challenger uses a 3.90 gear with that 6 speed transmission. I had planned to retain my 3.55 gear but now I might swap in a 3.91. In the .64 5th gear, the final drive with a 3.55 is 2.27. It leaps to a 2.50 with a 3.91 gear. I had a 3.91 in the car for years. It sure was more snappy with that gear in there.

Last edited:
Drove my car with the 3:23's, Damn my car hates tires, and I had a hard time getting into third around town.. Trans and Clutch worked GREAT!!!

You mean that it peels out easily?
Hard time getting into third...Not real clear on what you mean. Difficulty in shifting or the 3.23 gear is so tall, the rpms at speed are too low to shift into 3rd?
I looked at the new Challengers drivetrain layout as a guide. Their Tremec 6 speed uses a 2.97 1st gear and a 3.90 axle. The Tremec 5 speed has similar ratios except for not having a 6th gear. I currently have 3.55 and was considering a switch to a set of 3.91 gears BUT I am also planning to replace my rear tires with some shorter and slightly wider tires. Shorter tires have the effect of installing deeper gears. The new tires are 7% shorter. I "added" 7% to the 3.55 gear and came up with an effective axle ratio of 3.79. To change both the tires and the diff gears, I'd have an effective gear ratio of 4.18. That seems a bit too much. I don't want a car that winds out too fast.
Again, back to what the factory is currently doing:
Tremec 6 speed:
2.97 1st gear, 3.90 axle equals a 11.58 first gear ratio.
Tremec 5 speed:
2.87 1st gear, 3.55 axle equals a 10.18 first gear ratio.
2.87 1st gear, 3.79 (Theoretical) equals a 10.87 first gear ratio.
2.87 1st gear, 3.91 axle equals a 11.22 first gear ratio.
2.87 1st gear, 4.18 (Theoretical) equals a 11.99 first gear ratio.
The 5.7L and 6.4L Hemi engines are different animals than a 440 or even a stroked 440 but my thoughts are that a big block does not need to wind as much to make the power, the engine makes more torque down low too.
the numbers with the 3.23:
2.87 X 3.23 = 9.27 1st gear ratio. The 3.23 would result in a super tall 2.06 final drive in the .64 OD. If you have a rowdy cam, it may not like idling at 1500 at 70 mph. Time will tell. A stock engine with a mild cam would love it but anything with lots of overlap may not.

Auto Transport Service
Back