• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is the stuff leaking out of my ecu

adk-roadrunner

Local time
11:38 AM
Reaction score
I've noticed there is a lot of stuff leaking out of my ecu on my 73 roadrunner and running all down my firewall. I am actually fighting a stalling problem so I'm wondering if the ecu is going and part of my problem. Is this leaking common for these and what does it mean ?

I bought a brand new mopar performance kit for my 440 which is still in the box with the orange ecu would that work in my stock 318 setup I have now.

Yes, it will plug right up! Hotter spark, I could tell a instant difference once I put it on. I read somewhere that it adds 10 horses. I think it was a Mopar muscle article.

If and when you step it up, Google the Rev-N-Nator ignition box.

probably some sealer or gel (insulation) out of the capacitors. capacitors seem to always go early nowdays. trash and replace before it totally lets you down.
pt in tennessee

So I'm thinking about putting in the new ecu question is what causes the old ones the leak and die and is it gonna do the same thing to my new unit ? PS the ecu is the original from 73 so though they may go fast nowadays I think this one put its time in lol.

I've noticed there is a lot of stuff leaking out of my ecu on my 73 roadrunner and running all down my firewall. I am actually fighting a stalling problem so I'm wondering if the ecu is going and part of my problem. Is this leaking common for these and what does it mean ?
It's GOO. (Seriously, it's a gel that they put inside electronic components. Suggestion, don't mount it near HEAT and you should use the bracket that permits air movement.)

Though that rev-n-nator does look awesome I already have this one I bought for my 440 swap and if my machinist ever finishes balancing my rotating assembly I can get that together. I will prolly give it a whirl on my old 318 for now. Here is what I have from mopar performance. IMG_20130616_081331.jpg IMG_20130616_081342.jpg you can see the stuff in the back of this one must be what's leaking from my stock unit.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a pic of the original I just pulled. Question why does the original have 5 pins and the mopar performance only have 4 ? IMG_20130616_090040.jpg

Well apparently the 5 pin old ecu's only work with 4 pin ballast resisters and the 4 pin ecu's work with 2 and 4 pin. I put it in and it is running I was just a little concerned because I touched it on the little round thing to see if it was warm and I got a little shock not bad but its there.

5 pin is for the start bypass.
They have a heat sink on them so they will run a little warm.
They also need to be good and grounded so make sure the mounting bolts are tight and have a good grounding connection.
Also the orange boxes are known to fail. I've had 3 new ones fail on 3 different cars. Last one was a couple year ago. Might want to carry a spare. I won't use an orange box again.

Its in and runs but stumbling and stalling problem is exactly the same as it was before.

Auto Transport Service
Back