• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the weight of a factory 68 - 70 Dana 60 ?

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
3:01 AM
Reaction score
What is the weight of a factory 68 - 70 B body Dana 60 with drum brakes ?

I’ve been searching and can’t find a definitive answer but I’m getting the impression it’s about 250 lbs.

Anyone know?

Don’t. Have a number but, Heavy!

They are 70 lbs more than 8.75.

This is what racers say the difference is making the change. So probably truck housings nor car specific ones. But this is with spools in each one. The stock power lock differential is a monster by itself.

I know when moving them complete rear end dana60 VS an 8.75 the are a bunch heavier. But I don’t have any real numbers.

The reason I’m asking is to get a shipping quote on a stock 68 b body Dana

I have wondered (And I understand it's a bit off topic) if a Dana rear was a bit of overkill on stock and/or near stock builds? Not only significantly heavier than 8 3/4? But heavier rotating assembly? Especially with today's aftermarket? My A-body bracket drag car has 8 3/4 with Moser gear and axles (w/spool) that has held up very well to 650-700 HP power levels. (Of course its a 3000 lb car verses 3600 lb B-body similarly set up.) And this is under nothing but hard launch with 10.5" slicks use. As I see it? I would have no problem recommending 8 3/4" up to 600 HP builds for B-bodies? (assuming of course some aftermarket component upgrade to either) Anything over? Start looking at a Dana option? JMO of course.

Last edited:
I shipped some A body front seats back east on greyhound 65$ took couple weeks though

That seems to confirm my suspicions. Was that with the powr lok and drums?

Much appreciated
That is what Chrysler said supposedly back in the day. Just saw that information again on Moparts. I had a new one built with drums and locker and the dry weight was 234 lbs according to the shipping packing list. It came on a LTL carrier. Hope this helps. I was charged $250 shipping from builder.

That is what Chrysler said supposedly back in the day. Just saw that information again on Moparts. I had a new one built with drums and locker and the dry weight was 234 lbs according to the shipping packing list. It came on a LTL carrier. Hope this helps. I was charged $250 shipping from builder.

Mucho thanks

I shipped some A body front seats back east on greyhound 65$ took couple weeks though

Can you even imagine sending a Dana that way?

We’re using fastenal. Give them a try next time. Pretty reasonable, or Speedy if you are working in their zip codes.

:thumbsup:

I have wondered (And I understand it's a bit off topic) if a Dana rear was a bit of overkill on stock and/or near stock builds? Not only significantly heavier than 8 3/4? But heavier rotating assembly? Especially with today's aftermarket? My A-body bracket drag car has 8 3/4 with Moser gear and axles (w/spool) that has held up very well to 650-700 HP power levels. (Of course its a 3000 lb car verses 3600 lb B-body similarly set up.) And this is under nothing but hard launch with 10.5" slicks use. As I see it? I would have no problem recommending 8 3/4" up to 600 HP builds for B-bodies? (assuming of course some aftermarket component upgrade to either) Anything over? Start looking at a Dana option? JMO of course.

I don’t need it. Just want it.

Always had street big block 4 speeds, and never raced, never had an issue with 8 3/4 and love the ease of gear changes.

A stroker is a future possibility with a 5 speed though.

an 8 3/4 can never look as cool as a 60
That's true. And of course I am certainly not going to change out my GTX's Dana for an 8 3/4" just to save 70lb? But if building a street/strip from ground up? (Especially a less than high demand B-body model?) A Dana rear may not be an absolute must? Save $$ and be a little quicker with an 8 3/4" option?

I don’t need it. Just want it.

Always had street big block 4 speeds, and never raced, never had an issue with 8 3/4 and love the ease of gear changes.

A stroker is a future possibility with a 5 speed though.
I figured was just throwing it out there.

Can you even imagine sending a Dana that way?

We’re using fastenal. Give them a try next time. Pretty reasonable, or Speedy if you are working in their zip codes.

:thumbsup:
Wrong response this is the one.

You thinking of buying the one out in Oregon? If so, I would be curious as to what it costs ship it to the midwest. That one would have already been in my garage if it was closer to me.

Auto Transport Service
Back