• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what lubrication for point distributors

moparjohnny

Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
i know it needs some kind of lube that will stick and not sling off. thanks

I've always used engine oil (straight 30 or heavier) if it has a felt wipe and a dab of grease if not....

Moparjohnnie,
I have always used EITHER a hi-temp silicon or the lube furnished by BlueStreak lubra-points (the points with the little red felt pad) called distributor cam lubricant. I always put a little dab on the BACK SIDE of the plastic opening arm but always away from the contact surface. Remember on the Mopar dual point distributor, one set of points MAKES the coil charging circuit while the other set of points breaks the coil charging circuit and allows the coil to produce the high voltage spark. AND I use a numbers matching Prestolite dual point in my 1970 V code GTX. This distributor can buzz up to 6500 RPM without point bounce or ignition miss fire. Just thought you might like to know. Questions or comments.....please PM.
CHEERS, RJRenton

I use vacuum grease. It doesn't seam to thin out when hot and it sticks well. Also it's clear so it has a cleaner look.

Moparjohnnie,
I have always used EITHER a hi-temp silicon or the lube furnished by BlueStreak lubra-points (the points with the little red felt pad) called distributor cam lubricant. I always put a little dab on the BACK SIDE of the plastic opening arm but always away from the contact surface. Remember on the Mopar dual point distributor, one set of points MAKES the coil charging circuit while the other set of points breaks the coil charging circuit and allows the coil to produce the high voltage spark. AND I use a numbers matching Prestolite dual point in my 1970 V code GTX. This distributor can buzz up to 6500 RPM without point bounce or ignition miss fire. Just thought you might like to know. Questions or comments.....please PM.
CHEERS, RJRenton
rj, where can i find this blue streak lube. thanks

I use vacuum grease. It doesn't seam to thin out when hot and it sticks well. Also it's clear so it has a cleaner look.
thanks, where do i find that grease at.

i know it needs some kind of lube that will stick and not sling off.
That lube is more like rear axle 'grease' (lol, but don't use that), so it's tends to stay in place. Usually, with the right lube, wet the felt wiper with it, and use a towel to soak off the excess, so the lube penetrates into the felt.
But, been so dang long, don't know if the stuff can be found.

(I've got a small supply of aeroplane magneto grease, pretty much the same thing. Enough to last me a couple lifetimes!)

That lube is more like rear axle 'grease' (lol, but don't use that), so it's tends to stay in place. Usually, with the right lube, wet the felt wiper with it, and use a towel to soak off the excess, so the lube penetrates into the felt.
But, been so dang long, don't know if the stuff can be found.

(I've got a small supply of aeroplane magneto grease, pretty much the same thing. Enough to last me a couple lifetimes!)
i found napa has a tube of grease they call molly lube by echlin and it is for distributor cams. thanks

I
thanks, where do i find that grease at.
I use the Dow Corning brand. I got a tube at work years ago. You can find it on the net. It has many uses but seams to last forever. It's like silicone caulking that never sets.

Mopar Johnny,
The lube I referred to was marketed by Standard Motor Products of Long Island NY. I am sure the other contributors have had good luck with what they recommended. The person that mentioned a vacuum grease. ..... yes it's sticky but it was made for high vacuum applications to prevent infiltration of oxygen and not for lubrication purposes, but this is just my opinion. The NAPA product mentioned, seem like an excellent substitute...just remember, a little dab is all you need.
Regards. .RJ

Many points used to come with a small tube of grease for them which I used to use and used to have alot. But in a pinch I used a little wheel bearing grease. Just a small tad on your finger tip and then I would rub it around the dist cam lobes. It seemed to work fine as I never had a problem on the ones I did it on and it did not fling off like some of the thinner lubes can do. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back