• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Rear Bumper do I have?

Gunner1

Local time
10:49 AM
Reaction score
I've been told that the bumper my car came with is off a 65. Anyone ?

tempImageIh4wn6.png

Could it be from a station wagon?

No Idea. It came with the car already installed.

64' Polara 440,330 same as 65' Coronet. those bumper guards where an option.

One of my 65 Coronet 500s had those bumper guards. They are not seen very often.

It's the "V" to the lower center and the extra center bumper bolt that's got me...

1964 Dodge 440 / Polara bumper
1964dodge440bumper 025.JPG

I didn't notice the extra bumper bolt, wonder what that's all about?

That bolt has pushed the bumper out. i'm gonna have to go under it and shoot some pic's. I guess when i start on body stuff i'll make someone a smokin deal on a slightly bent bumper.

I didn't notice the extra bumper bolt, wonder what that's all about?
Back in the 1960s. it was common to add a small trailer hitch, and usually they had a bolt installed through the bumper for additional support. I have seen many done that way.

That bolt has pushed the bumper out. i'm gonna have to go under it and shoot some pic's. I guess when i start on body stuff i'll make someone a smokin deal on a slightly bent bumper.
It will still be good for a core, Tri-City Chrome filled the bumper guard holes and some dents on mine.

I see a difference in height between the second 63 pic and the 64 pics/OP's pic.

On the 64's you can't see the valance panel.

End profile looks different, too.

The '64' s did not have the lower valance panel. That was a '62-'63 thing. The larger '64 bumper covered this area. I wonder if this car was damaged in the rear end in such a way that it took out both the rear bumper and the valence panel. That centre bumper bolt may help attach the '64 bumper to some cobbled up bracket. Definitely not correct for the '63.

That's kind of where I was going.

The '64' s did not have the lower valance panel. That was a '62-'63 thing. The larger '64 bumper covered this area. I wonder if this car was damaged in the rear end in such a way that it took out both the rear bumper and the valence panel. That centre bumper bolt may help attach the '64 bumper to some cobbled up bracket. Definitely not correct for the '63.
Yup smacked hard in the left rear quarter.

Racers used to put '64 rear bumpers on '63's for better weight distribution...until they got ratted out for having the wrong (heavier) rear bumper.

Got under it yesterday. It's just bent with a bolt in it. My valance is there with no sign of a hitch.

Auto Transport Service
Back