• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What shoes do you wear?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
I've been wearing Asics Gel Venture trail runners for the last 10 years. Lately they've been less comfortable as I have been walking a lot more on a daily basis for excercise. I walk on paved park trails.

So, I thought I'd ask you guys what's comfortable for all day everyday wear and/or for long walks? What do you wear for those long days at Carlisle or other shows?

I have comfortable hiking shoes from Keen and I hardly ever wear dress shoes. So, I'm only interested in walking and running shoes.

Thanks FBBO.

70+% of my time is spent in Redback boots. Slip on, super comfortable, made for being in a shop on concrete or other hard floor all day around fluids/solvents etc. Can be had with steel toe. Hiking, walking, shopping, spectating etc these are on me when I'm going to be on my feet all day. When its kick back time, I wear Teva sandals or go barefoot.
https://www.amazon.com/RedbacK-UBBK...&keywords=redback+boots&qid=1709484101&sr=8-3

70+% of my time is spent in Redback boots. Slip on, super comfortable, made for being in a shop on concrete or other hard floor all day around fluids/solvents etc. Can be had with steel toe. Hiking, walking, shopping, spectating etc these are on me when I'm going to be on my feet all day. When its kick back time, I wear Teva sandals or go barefoot.
https://www.amazon.com/RedbacK-UBBK...&keywords=redback+boots&qid=1709484101&sr=8-3
Those would be way too hot here in Oklahoma 10 months out of the year. They look comfy, though.

I do a lot of intermittent during the day bench TIG/MIG welding for past 4+ decades. As often does happen when welding a ball of molten metal will roll off the SS bench and land on top of one's shoe. Having that occurrence a number of times, it quickly becomes apparent you have less than 10 seconds before the metal burns thru the top of the shoe and your sock and reaches skin, causing a nasty burn. The only upside is it cauterizes everything as its happening.
The solution quickly became obvious, get your shoe off before it reaches the top of your foot.
A velcro shoe left conveniently unclasped allows that to happen in allotted time, and because I was welding on and off during the course of the day, it became a daily habit , my velcro shoes were often unclasped. They were also very comfortable to wear.
I was interviewed more than a decade back about stopping a multiple pit bull attack on TV, and I requested that my face not be shown in the interview. Unbeknownst to me, the cameraman was filming my feet/shoes during the interview. Minutes after interview aired, I was getting numerous calls by people who recognized my "iconic" unclasped velcro shoes. :lol:
I also calculate those shoes will save me 2 days of wasted time tying/untying them during my life.

I've wear Sketchers shoes. They are broke in and comfortable right out of the box. They are also very light weight and durable. We do allot of walking and they do a great job in staying comfortable. For sandals I wear Dr.Scholl's. I've walked 5 miles at one time in them in Vegas and my feet were still good to go.

Red Wing boots most of the time. Blundestones the rest of the time. I hate laces.

Ecco shoes are the best. Probably the most expensive, but the very best. They last a long time and even can be repaired.

I wear Brooks. My wife has been suggesting them for years, after my l3l4 disc broke, I finally decided to try them. My back used to ache after short times on my feet, but with the new shoes (and inserts) my back is fine. I was skeptical, but now I am a believer! (That would preach)

I wear Brooks. My wife has been suggesting them for years, after my l3l4 disc broke, I finally decided to try them. My back used to ache after short times on my feet, but with the new shoes (and inserts) my back is fine. I was skeptical, but now I am a believer! (That would preach)
I wear Glycerin 20s by Brooks

I love my red wing Irish setters, only boots I used for many years on the job.
Been retired for 15 plus years.
Had a shoulder and ankle injury 2 years ago and bought some of those slip on types and never looked back, like walking around in slippers.

Funny side note..... my best buddy and I would drive a half an hour to Howell MI. To a country store we loved to buy our boots......
was a long standing argument between us......
I used size 15 and Sergio was size 8.
He was always pissed off
Every single time he would bring up the size differance and same cost he would argue thats unfair!

My answers where always ..... you need bigger feet!

I just bought some New Balance 990's. I have worn NB for years and they work better for me than any other shoe I have tried. I am 250# so I need good shoes with support. Not cheap. $200

Another item on footwear thats just as important as boots/shoes is socks. Cotton socks, for me at least, are like wrapping your foot with a wet towel all day long causing fungal problems. And they don't cushion the foot. I like using the synthetic/wool blend ones from Thorlo. I prefer the heavy trekking/hiking but they are spendy, so currently am using the basic hiking ones. Cushions the ball/toes and the heel plus the material wicks away sweat/moisture. Socks make a huge difference along with the outer wear of choice.

I 2nd the Sketchers. I get the memory foam slip on type. I am on my 4th pair. I typically get close to a year out of them, which for me works out to hundreds of miles per pair. I walk at least 5 miles daily, plus my trips to Watkins Glen and Road America. I walk a lot. I am a big fan. They are drop dead comfortable “ out of the box” and I have never gotten a blister wearing them.

I just bought some New Balance 990's. I have worn NB for years and they work better for me than any other shoe I have tried. I am 250# so I need good shoes with support. Not cheap. $200
I went to NB 10? years ago. I was wearing out Walmart $14? sneakers every three weeks, the NB stuff at over 10x$ lasts me over 6 months and seems to have reduced some hip pain.
I'm sold.

Have you tried the Hoka? They are very comfortable for walking. I used to be 100% Keen shoes but have hot been happy with them lately. I just received my first pair of Brunt boots. I am anxious to give them a try.

I do have new balance walking shoes, also rockports for a kinda dress shoes for most occasions, also sketchers...not bad at all!

I just want to walk everywhare I go barefoot like the old days!
I think thats why the no shoes no service signs started!

When I was young, we prided ourselves on just how tough our feet where, gravel roads where meant to be walked on!

Last edited:

For when I am just going to town. Sturdy enough, but light and breathable.

For when I am doing most anything else, including going to work. The vibram bottom is a lot more comfortable then people think it is by looking. Plain leather is more breathable then 90% of the "foot in a ziplock bag" plastic BS tennisshoes are now as well.

Note: made in USA. This matters to me. It has shown to be worthwhile in quality as well. Thorogood is in WI. They even put a little flag on theirs because they aren't afraid to show it.

One thing you should mention in your request: how heavy are you? I am 295. Not a fat guy. Every shoe I buy the inside wears out before the rest. Stuff like memory foam sketchers is LOL worthy, I tried one pair and squashed them in 3 months. Keens are better but won't last either. I had good luck with expensive hiking style Merrel. I tried a pair of their steel toes once a few years back and the heel literally collapsed in 2 weeks, I took them back.
Hence the MADE IS USA. My grey NB as above are now 4 years old. They are pretty stained now, and the bottom is actually wearing out on pace with the insides.

I did score some Field and Forrest made in USA(oem'd by thorogood :) ) Fleet Farm put 80% clearence on so I got three pairs that were $200/each, before my additional 10% I saved for signing up for their rewards. LOL, my total bill was like $140 bucks and I had some candy and stuff in the pile too. So I am good on those for a while. Literally the same boot as what I have linked above, but the F&F logo on the heel instead. Fleet went to selling actual thorogood instead of their self branded OEM ones.

edit: updated link to one that works

Last edited:
Nike Air Monarch, Black. I used to work on concrete floors for 35 years and it
beat up my knees. These have an actual air bladder under the heel. Best shoe
for me!

Auto Transport Service
Back