• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What shoes do you wear?

Have you tried the Hoka? They are very comfortable for walking. I used to be 100% Keen shoes but have hot been happy with them lately. I just received my first pair of Brunt boots. I am anxious to give them a try.
I didn't like the Hokas running shoes, Brooks Ghost 14, or Saucony Guide 17. I'm trying to stay under $150.

Every one is different so you have to find what works for you!! Worn NB for a good while until they went to China....on the other hand, ChinaMart had some cheap shoes that were comfy on me. Sketchers is another one that I like but only certain models. Flip flops.....after about an hour and I'm done. Red Wings....hate them. When I was working I swapped shoes 3 times a day! Just gotta find what works for ya.

I'm 5'7" and 148 lbs. I went to one of the high end runners footwear stores and had my feet measured and my foot-fall and gait examined before they told me I have neither over pronation or supination and recommended a neutral shoe. But I am a heal striker when I walk and run. Then they brought me Saucony, New Balance and Hoka. I went home with a pair of Saucony Guide 17 but after a few partial days I will be returning them because of the rocker design of the outsole. I almost fell over backwards when I tried them on and thought I'd get used to them.

I'm looking at Topo Athletic 5mm drop running shoes and will try them on. I've tried zero drop shoes like the Altra Lone Peak 7 but they hurt my Achilles tendon and calf muscles. My daughter and son-in-law and 3 grandkids love zero drop shoes. I did like the wide toe box of the Altras.

I'm 5'7" and 148 lbs. I went to one of the high end runners footwear stores and had my feet measured and my foot-fall and gait examined before they told me I have neither over pronation or supination and recommended a neutral shoe. But I am a heal striker when I walk and run. Then they brought me Saucony, New Balance and Hoka. I went home with a pair of Saucony Guide 17 but after a few partial days I will be returning them because of the rocker design of the outsole. I almost fell over backwards when I tried them on and thought I'd get used to them.

I'm looking at Topo Athletic 5mm drop running shoes and will try them on. I've tried zero drop shoes like the Altra Lone Peak 7 but they hurt my Achilles tendon and calf muscles. My daughter and son-in-law and 3 grandkids love zero drop shoes. I did like the wide toe box of the Altras.
Never was a 'runner' but rode bikes a lot. That said, I was on my feet a LOT at work and then in my shop. When in the military after marching a lot, I found out that shoes made a different and that was years before being on my feet a lot. I can't stand to 'slow walk' and my X liked to window shop and slow walk everything. It killed me. If I ain't moving, my feet bitch and now that I'm getting into my middle 70's, forget standing and talking....I'm gonna sit some where if you wanna talk a lot lol

That's a valid question that you put out there for responses in regards to a good shoe.
They make shoes for just about anything that you can think of, in the way of fitment, cost, styles.
I recently invested 70+ bucks in a pair with arch support in them, for this plantier faciatis (spelling) that i have in my left foot, that bothers me from time to time.
Seems to work, in all my walking around, so i can't complain to what i paid for the pair.
Keep my fingers crossed.

I'm a member of the New Balance brigade - brown suede 608's as I type this.

Made in USA, wear them everywhere.
download (4).jpeg

You are much lighter then me. but I think tis applies a bit yet...
Look at ESOXER's picture of the boot there.
now, look at JUST the leather part. See how it looks like a sock?
All they did was take the natural shape of a foot, wrap leather on it.
Then whatever they put on the bottom is dependent on purpose.

Maybe you wouldn't like the heel, maybe you would find it nice. Not that you want to go jogging in boots, but for walking/hiking the first thing to look at is the shape of the upper and how it is attached to the bottom.
Modern tennis shoes have gone all "one up" on each other claiming all these crazy foam rubber shapes are the next best thing.
It is ALL BS, science has proven the goof *** shaped mega heel, round bottom shoes designed for jogging created more foot issues then any type of benefit to impact reduction could have been.
you want a sole on the bottom big enough to be stable but not too big or it is clumsy and WILL affect how you land your step.
my favorite running shoes I ever had was a pair of $14 Avia's i got at a shoe clearance place. They were a synthetic leather upper with mesh spots on the side and over the toe, the heel bulged out just a little(like your foot does) and I mean the leather part not the bottom rubber part, and the bottom was just a plain rubber with some foam above it for cushion. No crazy mega arches, curved bottoms, super wide area under the ball of my foot, crazy giant heels. It was like an ankle high sock with some foam rubber on the bottom and a strap of tread rubber on that. They were the lightest shoes I think I have ever owned, had the right arch support(on the insole) and were breathable. Lasted about 3 years.

I recommend if you want a tennis shoe, you look for the most normal looking shoe you can find, see if it looks like a sock glued onto some foam, and make sure it breaths. Then so long as the arch is in the right spot I bet they are perfect.

Everything I describe above is why people find stuff like thorogoods comfy to hike around in all day. It is a leather sock on top of some cork(or foam) with a rubber bottom stitched on(maybe neoprene). Once the leather softens and finds it's spot shaped like your foot, it really is a leather sock with a bottom attached.

I wear size 15 so selections are limited. I prefer work boots rather than tennis type shoes. I do like various New Balance shoes if I need to wear soft shoes.
Well-polished strap-ring biker boots for times you need to wear a suit "no safety toe". and 95% of the year is spent wearing 8" work boots Timberland Pro Boondock composite toe. And Redwing 2408's steel toe. Timberland is a little better in cold weather. Redwings are better for long days walking car swap meets. Both are easy on socks compared to other safety toe shoes. Redwings I can still get 5 buckles over them, no chance with the Boondocks.

redwing2408.jpg

ringboot.jpg

Timberland.jpg

5buckle.jpg

I have a stock-pile of NB shoes. I generally have 4-5 pair, I choose from. The gray ones are gone, and I have a blue and a black pair in the cycle, now. Wear a 13 XX-W.
shoes 2.jpg

I like Vans with the old waffle sole for work/garage. Ecco boots for winter. Ferragamo shoes for driving.

You are much lighter then me. but I think tis applies a bit yet...
Look at ESOXER's picture of the boot there.
now, look at JUST the leather part. See how it looks like a sock?
All they did was take the natural shape of a foot, wrap leather on it.
Then whatever they put on the bottom is dependent on purpose.

Maybe you wouldn't like the heel, maybe you would find it nice. Not that you want to go jogging in boots, but for walking/hiking the first thing to look at is the shape of the upper and how it is attached to the bottom.
Modern tennis shoes have gone all "one up" on each other claiming all these crazy foam rubber shapes are the next best thing.
It is ALL BS, science has proven the goof *** shaped mega heel, round bottom shoes designed for jogging created more foot issues then any type of benefit to impact reduction could have been.
you want a sole on the bottom big enough to be stable but not too big or it is clumsy and WILL affect how you land your step.
my favorite running shoes I ever had was a pair of $14 Avia's i got at a shoe clearance place. They were a synthetic leather upper with mesh spots on the side and over the toe, the heel bulged out just a little(like your foot does) and I mean the leather part not the bottom rubber part, and the bottom was just a plain rubber with some foam above it for cushion. No crazy mega arches, curved bottoms, super wide area under the ball of my foot, crazy giant heels. It was like an ankle high sock with some foam rubber on the bottom and a strap of tread rubber on that. They were the lightest shoes I think I have ever owned, had the right arch support(on the insole) and were breathable. Lasted about 3 years.

I recommend if you want a tennis shoe, you look for the most normal looking shoe you can find, see if it looks like a sock glued onto some foam, and make sure it breaths. Then so long as the arch is in the right spot I bet they are perfect.

Everything I describe above is why people find stuff like thorogoods comfy to hike around in all day. It is a leather sock on top of some cork(or foam) with a rubber bottom stitched on(maybe neoprene). Once the leather softens and finds it's spot shaped like your foot, it really is a leather sock with a bottom attached.
My dad drives to Merrill once every three years and gets sweet deals on boots. Thorogoods are some of the best. If I need more ankle support when hunting certain areas I wear mine. Otherwise it's usually the Double H. Members here pointed me in that direction as Justins just weren't doing it anymore.

and seems to have reduced some hip pain.
I'm sold.
... and knee pain. I've posted before I've been wearing NBs on the advice of a chiropractor. They work well for me. I think they have recently stopped making them in the States, unfortunately.

I've been wearing New Balance since 1980...1000's,1100's 1200's, 1300's 1600's but for the last I don't know how long,it's been 992's 993's and 990's I keep 3 pair at a time.One for painting one for out in the garage and a good pair for running around.And a couple of pair in the closet in boxes waiting their turn.
newbalance.jpg

I wear Merrell slip on shoes pretty much exclusively, they fit my wide feet the best. In Mexico and around the house I wear knock off Croc’s. I miss the days before they became fashionable and were nine bucks a pair. Those days are gone…
My work situation is much more complex. I tore my knee up badly when I was a teen. Like very badly. Consequently I have one knee that I need to be careful with. My moronic employer made a blanket policy where all employees must wear green triangle work boots. This involves steel toe, steel arch,and heavy lugged thick soles that are as flexible as iron plate. These tear my knees up something fierce. Yes, I am aware that they make work boots that look like runners. They have the same steel toe, steel arch and inflexible lug sole that the boots have.
I am a painter; I paint schools where students can go barefoot if they want, and a prison where inmates wear cloth slippers so that they can’t easily escape. I have an understanding immediate supervisor. He lets me wear lightweight Chinese lab shoes. These things are awesome for what I do. They have puncture resistant soles that use lightweight plastic plates in the soles that resemble fish scales so that they can flex yet are puncture resistant. Hard plastic toes. They cost about fifty bucks a pair delivered to my door from China. Obviously if you work in heavy industry these are not for you. If you work in my industry they are perfect.
The kicker is that I still run the risk of a random government asshole seeing me and reporting me. Thus I always have to carry my original Frankenstein boots around in the van in case I get discovered.

I wear Merrell slip on shoes pretty much exclusively, they fit my wide feet the best. In Mexico and around the house I wear knock off Croc’s. I miss the days before they became fashionable and were nine bucks a pair. Those days are gone…
My work situation is much more complex. I tore my knee up badly when I was a teen. Like very badly. Consequently I have one knee that I need to be careful with. My moronic employer made a blanket policy where all employees must wear green triangle work boots. This involves steel toe, steel arch,and heavy lugged thick soles that are as flexible as iron plate. These tear my knees up something fierce. Yes, I am aware that they make work boots that look like runners. They have the same steel toe, steel arch and inflexible lug sole that the boots have.
I am a painter; I paint schools where students can go barefoot if they want, and a prison where inmates wear cloth slippers so that they can’t easily escape. I have an understanding immediate supervisor. He lets me wear lightweight Chinese lab shoes. These things are awesome for what I do. They have puncture resistant soles that use lightweight plastic plates in the soles that resemble fish scales so that they can flex yet are puncture resistant. Hard plastic toes. They cost about fifty bucks a pair delivered to my door from China. Obviously if you work in heavy industry these are not for you. If you work in my industry they are perfect.
The kicker is that I still run the risk of a random government asshole seeing me and reporting me. Thus I always have to carry my original Frankenstein boots around in the van in case I get discovered.
Sahara,
Being a fellow Canadian i understand your "Green Patch" boot issue well. However, be advised that there are quite a few manufacturer's that offer "composite" instead of "steel". These are much lighter, more flexible and "Green Patch". i have been wearing them for years.

Sahara,
Being a fellow Canadian i understand your "Green Patch" boot issue well. However, be advised that there are quite a few manufacturer's that offer "composite" instead of "steel". These are much lighter, more flexible and "Green Patch". i have been wearing them for years.
When I was working, we had Worker’s Compensation Claimant’s come in with amputated or badly mangled toes. Heavy objects dropped on feet that were boots with steel toe caps.
I approached Workers Compensation and suggested we make composition or fibreglass toe caps built in on our custom made boots. They said carry on and never refused an invoice.
Sahara. I think that if you can, start at the ball, (big toe joint and rocker(grind) down the sole to the toe, rocking chair principal. Don’t think anyone would notice.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back