• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I do with my tail panel?

TT from NH

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score
As many of you know, I bought my 68 Coronet 500 for the express purpose of learning things I didn't know: how to weld, how to fabricate, how to paint, etc. I've learned and enjoyed learning from you, my friends. And now I need your suggestions. I have been working on my roached out tail panel and like what I have done so far (refabbing the latch mount, fabbing new edges to replace the swiss cheese, etc.). However, there's a significant amount of rust-through around the two tail lights and I'm not sure if fabricating new pieces is the right thing to do (or even if I'm capable) or if I should go another route like fiberglassing.

This isn't a concourse restoration (or even close) so I'm looking for some suggestions. (And I don't know what I don't know, so please be gentle :))

Thanks! Terry

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

See what is available in the aftermarket, as far as replacement sheet METAL. I would stay away from fiberglass.

You may find that cutting and fabricating parts is easier than you think. I have made small patch panels using nothing more than tin snips, a vise and a hammer. I’ve often found that I make a task feel impossible when in my head but once I start, I figure a way though it. I know I’ll sound like I’m playing the same record over and over but sometimes a problem an actually be seen as a challenge to improve your skills and discover new things.
Taking it a huge leap further, space exploration is like that. They have to invent technology to meet their goals. When you find that you found a workaround that nobody else thought of, it is a nice feeling.

Last edited:
a guy has one for sale for 500 on here, not the greatest shape but looks easier to repair than yours, maybe worth a look. bigbrother14.

Auto Transport Service
Back