• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I price my car at?

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
Im headed to the Charlotte Auto Fair in September. I figured I'd throw a price on my 69 Satellite. Not sure what price to put. Not looking to sell it but if I can make money on it I will use that money to buy another. I like flipping cars just not sure I can make money on this one.

1969 Satellite "Roadrunner A12" clone
-Roughly 58k miles on the body best I can tell, I have receipts from the 90's showing 51k miles.
-383 stock 4 barrel intake motor with competition Carter carb (not sure what year the motor is)
-727 trans
-8 3/4 with 3.23's
-rebuilt the front suspension and upgraded upper control arm with a QA1 control arm. New sway bar.
-Added disc brake kit to the front. Have the rear disc brake kit for the rear (waiting till it cools to put that on)
-New reproduction seat belts front and rear with shoulder belts front and rear.
-Paint is probably a year or two old. Not a perfect paint job but very nice. I can't find any rust at all.
-Newer exhaust

Prices seem to be all over the place. That's why I ask. I'm new to the Mopar old car world. I usually flip Jeep CJ's and Wranglers.

IMG_2192.JPG IMG_2195.JPG IMG_2297.JPG IMG_2349.JPG IMG_2355.JPG IMG_2356.JPG IMG_2619.JPG

Good looker,,Easy a $25K car. Don't know what you have in it money wise but you asked.You may have double that in it. Mopar prices are all over the place. I hate to use this phrase but "A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay".

Good looker,,Easy a $25K car. Don't know what you have in it money wise but you asked.You may have double that in it. Mopar prices are all over the place. I hate to use this phrase but "A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay".

I felt I over paid but I was caught in the moment of the auction. The bright red had me hypnotized lol. I paid $27k. I have maybe $3k into shipping and parts/upgrades so $30k. Luckily I do the work myself.

It's weird but'll you'll see a disassembled project that is rust free and primered for 15k. After paint and everything else you'd be in that car for 40-50k easily but you'll find a nice Satellite like I have for 15-25k depending on whats done to it.

You are correct on that phrase even though I hate to use it also.

For the buyers not looking for a matching numbers car but want a nice car with some goodies...This is your buyer...

An educated buyer knows what a paint job costs, motor rebuilt costs etc....I agree with above ask 40k Obo...

It's weird but'll you'll see a disassembled project that is rust free and primered for 15k.
This is a very weird anomaly in the MOPAR market. I looked at many basket case projects in the 12 to 15K range that would require at least another 15K to make road worthy, and they sell and sell fairly quickly, yet these cars might not be worth the 30K+ investment when finished?

If you've got 30 into it, you're probably lookin to get at least 35 take. That'll be tough, you'll have to list at 39.9. The thing with mopars is you can have a POS for 22K, but if its got desirable options, it'll sell quick. It's the "potential" buyers are willing to pay for. Yours is a clone, and a 383 at that, so at 40K buyers have many more options for "potential" that they can spread the cost out over a restoration. Clones with 6packs, restomods with next-gen hemis, or clone verts can command prices though.

I think it might sell for that, but may take quite a while to find that non-numbers-caring logic-driven buyer that analyzes resto cost vs. done. Good luck!

For the buyers not looking for a matching numbers car but want a nice car with some goodies...This is your buyer...

An educated buyer knows what a paint job costs, motor rebuilt costs etc....I agree with above ask 40k Obo...

I like looking at ad's that say, "Asking 15k, all it needs is a paint job and it's worth 18k". I don't think people under
All day long.And drive the snot out of it and not care.

It's a great car to drive anywhere. Longest I drove it is a couple hours to a show. These big cars do great on the highway.

If you've got 30 into it, you're probably lookin to get at least 35 take. That'll be tough, you'll have to list at 39.9. The thing with mopars is you can have a POS for 22K, but if its got desirable options, it'll sell quick. It's the "potential" buyers are willing to pay for. Yours is a clone, and a 383 at that, so at 40K buyers have many more options for "potential" that they can spread the cost out over a restoration. Clones with 6packs, restomods with next-gen hemis, or clone verts can command prices though.

I think it might sell for that, but may take quite a while to find that non-numbers-caring logic-driven buyer that analyzes resto cost vs. done. Good luck!

Unfortunately it's just a 318 Satellite. It doesn't have any rare options. If I still have it by winter the 383 will be pulled and either built or replaced with a 440.

I didn't buy this one to flip, I bought it to drive and have fun but if someone wants it more than me it'll be sold. Only one vehicle I won't sell and that's my dads Shovelhead. That'll go to one of my boys.

I'd pay around 20. Probably a lot of others would pay around 30 I'd say. Ask 37 and see what happens.

Without the RM vin I can't imagine it pulling much over 20k unless someone really wants it.

Without the RM vin I can't imagine it pulling much over 20k unless someone really wants it.[/QUO
Without the RM vin I can't imagine it pulling much over 20k unless someone really wants it.

Not being an RM Vin sucks but it's a rust free car that you can drive any where and look cool doing it so hopefully that counts for something lol.

Im headed to the Charlotte Auto Fair in September. I figured I'd throw a price on my 69 Satellite. Not sure what price to put. Not looking to sell it but if I can make money on it I will use that money to buy another. I like flipping cars just not sure I can make money on this one.

1969 Satellite "Roadrunner A12" clone
-Roughly 58k miles on the body best I can tell, I have receipts from the 90's showing 51k miles.
-383 stock 4 barrel intake motor with competition Carter carb (not sure what year the motor is)
-727 trans
-8 3/4 with 3.23's
-rebuilt the front suspension and upgraded upper control arm with a QA1 control arm. New sway bar.
-Added disc brake kit to the front. Have the rear disc brake kit for the rear (waiting till it cools to put that on)
-New reproduction seat belts front and rear with shoulder belts front and rear.
-Paint is probably a year or two old. Not a perfect paint job but very nice. I can't find any rust at all.
-Newer exhaust

Prices seem to be all over the place. That's why I ask. I'm new to the Mopar old car world. I usually flip Jeep CJ's and Wranglers.

View attachment 505241 View attachment 505242 View attachment 505243 View attachment 505244 View attachment 505245 View attachment 505246 View attachment 505247
My thoughts, & $0.02... To the #'s match, & purists it is a '69 Satellite. It factually can't be anything else. To the motor-head/Mother Mopar fan... it is a well-done clone, albeit a 383...To any muscle car lover, it looks good (both inside, & out), and I'm sure sounds good too! Driving-down-the-highway, it appears to be a Six-Pack, 1969 Road Runner - a rarity for certain! Any '69 Road Runner is not your everyday car, seen all over-the-place. At a car show, you'll hear all the [sic] "expert" opinions, etc. If I wanted a nice 1969 Road Runner, found yours, & as equipped, I myself (if I was wanting to buy your car), would make an offer, and you would counter with something... I myself (but not everyone is me), never make an offer, if I don't have the money, or the means to procure it! Do not offer it at $40K/O.B.O. - as you are signaling your car at: "Too much/too-high" and open to offers, e.g. you are aware your asking price is too high. Opinions (including mine), are like belly buttons...everyone has one. Cars sell themselves. It won't be worth more w/the rear disc brakes installed. Save for another Mopar, sell them, or hold in reserve to include w/sale, to sweeten a deal...Pick a price that you are comfortable with (your choice), or as suggested, in the $40k range. Doubtful "A-N-Y-O-N-E" will pay your asking price, and keep-in-mind that no matter what you have...someone will find fault with it...give you there "expert' opinion (like mine remember), so let them step-up and make an offer. "M.T.B.S.W."

I sold both a '30 Model A sedan with a 302, chopped top, etc. and the buyer never drove the car! Same thing with one '87 G/Nat'l Buick...the buyer didn't drive it either, until he bought it! There are people out there now, wanting a Road Runner, and yours may be their dream machine. Keep-in-mind too...a seller, & buyer are on opposite sides of the fence. IMHO...your car has great "curb-side" appeal. Maybe a set of aftermarket wheels, will make-it-pop even more, or the '69 dog-dish caps...all a matter of personal tastes. Your car looks very nice! Back in the late '80's, & into the '90's - many good clones went begging, because they weren't matching number cars. A lot of "basket-case" cars, brought big $$$ - solely on the fact they were matching numbered cars. Your car, is not an investment car that will grow in value, as time goes-by...but shoulda'/woulda'/coulda' bring a good price. No rust you say? Condition is (almost), 'E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!" No one can tell your car isn't the "real-deal" on the hwy, or curbside, until they read the VIN, & the Fender Tag (and then)...only if they know Mopars! Let them look, drool, whatever, and do not point-out infinitisimal faults, as they are negatives, and only add-up to negatives. Let the buyer look all he wants, avoid "Test Pilots" and if someone asks: "What will you take for it...?" Tell them: "If you're serious, make-me an offer!"
Regards,
AL
P.S. (as noted), You might add the "440 SIX BBL" decal to the hood. You wouldn't sell-it as a 440...but just another "WOW" factor, as seen by onlookers.
P.P.S. if any "expert" buyer tells you, that your car isn't a "REAL" Road Runner... (DUUUH!), and can't be worth more than "blah-blah-blah" - remind him the cost of a "REAL" six-pack car, or the cost to bring any car, to the standard #2/3 yours is! If you put-in that 440, then someone would say they want a Hemi car...It Never Ends... Cheers! :thankyou:

Last edited:
My resto'd 63 Plymouth so far has cost me around $35k (last 15 months) with a lot of various detail work done by yours truly making the car the way I want it to drive...like new actually better with the steering box, discs, larger radials, sound-proofing, etc-etc. Prior to this I have around $15k in with work I did or had done over 15 years or so. Guys will say if you're looking to make money don't count on it unless you have a rare most popular car like factory original and nit picky details to staying correct. Some clones command high bucks because obviously the originals are so pricy though by comparison cheaper. Still, I couldn't bring myself to pay a fortune for a clone car mostly out of spite; on the other hand know first hand how much cash you can drop in a resto. My first project, cloning a Cutlass to 442, got me about 80% of what I put in though I'm not counting the 100's of hours of my work...80% of that bought me the CA Plymouth I've since put in near $50k! I just remember what the people some on this forum say...you buy, resto, for you and don't count on making money selling. Well good luck; if you make a bit more on the flip I think a lucky sell.

If you get an offer within 5k of what you have in it you better take it. You are playing in the range of a driver quality real Road Runner

I don't remember which podcast I was listening to recently, but the commentator said; "If you bought a classic car and restored it, and made money, you did something wrong".

Mark Worman demands a $54,000 'deposit' on each car he takes in, and I bet most of his resto cars cost 75 to 100K when he is done. They are nice cars, but when all is said and done I'm not sure the owners could recoup what they paid Worman when it comes time to sell.

I'm sure there are exceptions here and there, but for the most part ANY car (classic, antique, muscle, or even brand new) is a money liability when it's said and done. Those urban legends of the guy who responds to the 'Chevrolet for sale' ads and finds a rare Corvette with 10K original miles for $2400 have been around for years, and the stories of $800 Barn Finds that just needed fluids and a wash/wax are believable, but still probably far from the truth.

You won't waste anything but some of your time entertaining tire kickers by placing your car for sale. test the waters and let us know how you make out!

You never restore a car to make money unless you are doing it for someone else. Trust me I know lol

Auto Transport Service
Back