• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do for ignition?

Gpuller

Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
I've been thinking of changing the ignition on my car. The engine is a 440 with the old MP 284/484 cam. It will only pull 8" of vac so I dont have the vacuum advance hooked up. Intake is a Torker II, with a 750 Holley DP. Running an old MP electronic conversion kit.
Problem I have is the motor wants a lot of initial timing, 20 degrees, maybe more. Can't give it the timing it needs with out detonation and hate the thought of pulling the old MP dist a part and welding up the mechanical advance. (trial and error)
I was thinking of upgrading to something a little easier to adjust and tune. I like the MSD Pro-Billet Ready-to Run system, from what I've read on MSD's site you can lock out the vac advance and mechanical advance is easy to adjust. With the swap I could get rid of the troublesome orange box. Down the road I would like to upgrade to some sort a self learning EFI with the MSD the EFI can control the timing. Have yet to see where someone is using the MP unit with a timing control.
I would like to hear from what you guys are running and if anyone is running a ready to run system.

I have the MSD 6AL box with a pro billet dstrib mechanical advance had to adjust the tabs to lock in the total timing but got it to 35 total no det with 12 initial. No ballast or voltage reg anymore. 5-8k chips for revs. Harness plugged right into dist. I run RPM air gap and can maintain at idle 14" of vac. All reasonably priced and a great modern no headache upgrade.

Your right it is, so I backed the initial back to keep it from detonating. When I back the initial timing down it idles like crap. Played with it so I could get fairly good idle and no detonation.
Just to the point where I want something easy to tune.
Actually a cam change to something more modern would be a good choice but that's not gonna happen for a while.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the MSD 6AL box with a pro billet dstrib mechanical advance had to adjust the tabs to lock in the total timing but got it to 35 total no det with 12 initial. No ballast or voltage reg anymore. 5-8k chips for revs. Harness plugged right into dist. I run RPM air gap and can maintain at idle 14" of vac. All reasonably priced and a great modern no headache upgrade.

What cam are you running that will pull 14" of vac?

I'm running a 292/560 cam and obviously have the low vacuum like yourself. I bought a mechanical distributor from Don over at 4 Seconds Flat. Comes custom curved and phased for your set up for $200 bucks. Guy knows his stuff. My initial timing is 22* and full advance at 34*. Has the soft spring at idle/low cruise and hard springs for the top end. Just the route I went recently....good luck

All your tuning problems are the result of that cam with probably stock compression. I suggest replacing it with a milder grind with a lobe separation of 112 degrees and an earlier intake closing point.

All your tuning problems are the result of that cam with probably stock compression. I suggest replacing it with a milder grind with a lobe separation of 112 degrees and an earlier intake closing point.

Yep its stock compression, gonna limp this cam for a while. Would like to get some different pistons and heads down the road.
Always thought a stroker would be the way to go but bump the compression on my 440 with good heads and cam 500hp should be obtainable and be just fine for me.
Going to need the ignition either way.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm running a 292/560 cam and obviously have the low vacuum like yourself. I bought a mechanical distributor from Don over at 4 Seconds Flat. Comes custom curved and phased for your set up for $200 bucks. Guy knows his stuff. My initial timing is 22* and full advance at 34*. Has the soft spring at idle/low cruise and hard springs for the top end. Just the route I went recently....good luck

So what brand of dist did Don sell you? According to his site it looks like a Pertronix unit. Was searching on the net the other night few years ago he was pushing the Firecore units.
Have read so many mixed reviews about 4 seconds flat don't know what to think. Have a friend that bought the whole set up from Don and has had nothing but problems. Hope everything works in your favor Prop.

Thanks Gpuller. Appreciate it. Set up is a Mopar Performance unit. One of the couple distributors that actually fit with my eddy heads

Auto Transport Service
Back