• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What type of oil pan drain plug gasket is best

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
I bought a set of oil pan drain plug gaskets from AutoZone. It contains copper, plastic, Teflon, metal and rubber, and aluminum gaskets. Which one works best.

Thanks

Copper, Teflon, amd sometimes aluminum.

Aluminum works well and is durable. Many expensive cars use them.

Solid aluminum or Teflon will last the longest and be the most durable. The one (copper or alumimum) with a rubber ring seal usually last for one or two oil changed before the rubber breaks.

Solid aluminum or Teflon will last the longest and be the most durable. The one (copper or alumimum) with a rubber ring seal usually last for one or two oil changed before the rubber breaks.
Funny you mentioned that. The package says to change gaskets every oil change.

I use a GM Buna o-ring gasket kind of like an A/C hard line to compressor seal. Changed every time as I have a bunch from working for Generous Motors.

Teflon & plastic are tooooooo soft. Use alum or copper.

What ever you use, don't over tighten and replace at every oil change. Gaskets are much cheaper than motors...

I know it's not what you're asking, but anymore, I like to buy new drain plugs with an integral seal. I've had a handful of cars over the years with these, one I've owned for 18 years. It's the original plug and it's 25 years old, never a drop. Hassle free, one time cost, etc.

That’s great, I get the same results with the 55 year old factory drain plug and a Teflon washer That’s gets reused dozens of times before it gets replaced.

Also, give a look at the area where the gasket seats. One type may be a better fit/match than another.
My pan uses a rubber O-ring gasketed plug. I've changed the oil at least 27 times and still not so much as a weep (and I'm positive that I've over-tightened it more than once:D). But! There is a chamfer in the bung just under the bolt head, similar to what O-ringed -AN fittings use that lets it live. If it was totally flat I wouldn't use the O-ring style.

The problem with plastic, teflon etc is not that it doesn't seal. It is that the heat softens the material enough that the tq on the bolt is reduced enough that it may come loose...

Auto Transport Service
Back