• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do in my situation?

drobertson

Local time
9:00 AM
Reaction score
Wow... life sucks. About two years ago, my dad started to have severe back issues, which led to a botched surgery. He was a pharmacist for shopko, and during his career he was paying a little fee out of each paycheck for disability in case things go wrong. About a week after he applied for disability, he was terminated. He had applied for disability a week before his termination, but Shopko illegally tried to change his official "termination" date to a week before he applied. Bullshit.

Well over the course of the next few months, my parents fought and fought for disability. The botched surgery inhibited my dad's nerves, and he cannot feel anything below his waist. Amazingly he can still walk, but has a hard time keeping balance. Shopko temporarily gave him his disability for a while. But my mother and I both got jobs to help pay bills, house payment, etcetera.

Over this time period, I turned 16 years old. I got my drivers license, and found my inner desire for hot rodding... my family was not able to afford a decent car for me, so I found a 1973 Charger in a field. I worked my *** off to earn the $500 to buy the car. Withing several months, I had scrapped the money together and I rebuilt the drivetrain.... but that's another story for another day. Sorry I got side tracked there...

Things were seeming to go pretty decent for a while when my dad had a meager income with disability. Just this may I turned 18 and figured it's about time to start my own life, but I had nowhere to go. My mother is a school teacher assistant, and has no job during the summer. Then everything turned to ****. Shopko refused to continue paying his disability as of the beginning of this month. Im the only one employed right now, and I'm lucky to get 4-5 hours a day with minimum wage.

Recently we came to the conclusion that we have to sell our home. Luckily my mom's brother (my uncle) has an extra house on a ranch in Burlington, WY. I have lots of family there, but I won't be living with my immediate family. I'm going to live in the upstairs of a barn next to my grandma's house in Burlington. My dad has almost given up his fight with shopko, and it has truly been a very difficult time.

I'm going to live in Burlington in the near future, but it's a relatively small town with 200-300 citizens. I'm looking for jobs in that area, as I have nowhere else to go. All I have of now i's my ratty old beat up Charger and some clothes and some money for maintenance, etc. I really would like to get an education, but I was stupid in high school and didn't get very good grades. I was lucky to graduate. At this point I feel like quitting.

But I'm never going to quit. My dream is to attend a tech school or college and get a decent job in the auto industry. Work hard every day to make a living, and maybe settle down someday with a significant other and raise a family. Who knows what my next chapter will be?

My message is that life is a bitch and it's never okay to give up, no matter how hard things get. But at this point I feel like I'm at a dead end. I have all sorts of hopes and dreams, but those are gonna have to wait little.

If you were in my situation, what would you do?

Don't suggest selling my car. It's my only means of transportation, and it's my inspiration to keep on keepin' on.

God bless.

Whoa...that's a tough one. It's going to take some serious thought here. I feel bad about your situation. Hang in there, I'm sure a solution is close at hand. :thumbsup:

I'm being honest here when I suggest you could get a sugar momma.
Find a wealthy older woman (no family etc ) and be her companion ,that way you would be in her will and when she passes you would inherit her wealth.
It may sound crass but being a younger guy you would set yourself up for later life.
**** if I was rich and had no family and a young women would be my companion I'd will her my dough when I passed!
Being old the sex thing probably wouldn't be required.

Wyotech would be a smart choice. You never know, you could find an awesome job once you move and be set you just need to stay optimistic

Sorry for the hard times, I am a college tech instructor, there are programs for you, Pell grant, WIA( Work Force Investment Act) for you to go to college. I wish you were in Alabama, I would help find you work and schooling. Good luck, and keep dreaming

Hopefully you or your family has gotten a lawyer involved? I see no mention of that in your post. Best wishes to you and your family.

Based on the disability situation, I would explore legal advice as well....

Sorry, to hear about your situation and I pray for you and your family! There are many options available to you via grants, loans etc....just make sure to venture into a field that makes a stable income, benefits, and security. Healthcare, IT, skilled trades etc...

Btw 73 charger for 500 bones and is your daily driver, Awesome!

Based on your words and morals relayed above, your parents did their job well and it's time for you to take the next big step into more education!

I would say you need to get in your Charger and drive to the local military recruiting office. They will give you a job, a career, all the training and education you want, and a base hobby shop where you can work on your car. Plus you get to serve your country to boot.

I would suggest, in order:

Coast Guard
Air Force
Navy
Army
Marines

Hello there. My suggestion is that you sign up in the National Guard where you will be living and THEY will train you to be a mechanic, among other things, AND they will pay you to go to school as well. They will feed you, cloth you, and generally be an extended family that will find ways to help you out. Or, join the big ARMY and really get crack'in. Travel the world and really get an education and a leg up. I myself graduated 152 of 153 in my class at high school and with no prospects at all I joined the Big Army and have never looked back. After a 30 year career I can say I have zero regrets for that choice. Good luck pal and if I can help you , I will. Ghost.

If you decide to go to a Tech school, or the Military, your Parents need to have an attorney (Lawyer) to address your Father's disability issue. Get one that specializes in Disability problems. It's the only way for them to be able to get by. All the best to you and your Family. Things WILL get better.

First off:
1. You family needs to retain a Social security disability lawyer
2. You need to get out of that small town
A) As Bruzilla suggested, join the Military, I did and spent 20 years.

Now: How old are you?

seems like you're between a rock and a hard place. do you leave your folks when they need you, or do you stay, get a min wage job and help them out? either way, hope things work out for all of you.

does that small town have a Newspaper?
i Bet Shopko would reverse their position if the newspaper started asking questions....

plus,like others have said,wheres the legal beagles in your town?
why isnt there a lawyer halfway up shopkos behind??

I am impressed these are some excellent, well thought pieces of advice. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah time for your dad to lawyer up and for you to put in applications with Burlington Northern, union Pacific or any short line railroad that will hire you.

lots of good advice, but you have to decide your own path in life. might I suggest:
check into financial/help in enrolling in vo/tech school.
life is long, study something that you will love to do your entire life, and that pays you an adequate wage.
like said, I hope your dad/family has contacted a GOOD lawyer. suit t he SOB's, and get him om SSD as it appears he desires it .
sounds like your family has raised a level headed young man, with common sense and sense of morals. you are right about your car. you need transportation period. you need a dream to follow in this life. .... period. good luck.

Thank you all for the advice. I never really thought about joining the military... I will look into that. In my dad's situation, we aren't allowed to choose our lawyers. Shopko gets to choose them. I don't really understand how that's legal, but we have tried so many different ways to get his disability. All day he is in excruciating pain and he has sort of lost his mind as a side effect. I have looked into wyotech, but wow. 34k for 9 months is a lot. Luckily my aunt specializes in grants, and could get me through for about 2k to 8k. I really will consider going into the military.

It would be an awesome experience that most Americans don't have. Believe it or not, the guy I bought my Charger from was a special ops person.

I'm being honest here when I suggest you could get a sugar momma.
Find a wealthy older woman (no family etc ) and be her companion ,that way you would be in her will and when she passes you would inherit her wealth.
It may sound crass but being a younger guy you would set yourself up for later life.
**** if I was rich and had no family and a young women would be my companion I'd will her my dough when I passed!
Being old the sex thing probably wouldn't be required.
I don't know whether you're being serious or not. I would never do that. I couldn't live a day knowing I took advantage of someone.

As far as I see it shoplifting has already violated, terminated the agreement therefore you have every right to seek you're own counsel. What do you have to lose?

Auto Transport Service
Back