• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you pay?

skyman51

Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
I found a NOS GTX flip gas cap complete in the box. The vendor wants $315 for it. I think that is a bit pricey. Am I wrong or is it worth less? Thanks

Oh, I know, I know...let me be the first one to say...It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it :):):)

Now, don't you just feel the value oozing out out of that information?

Sorry I don't know anything about what comparable units have recently sold for, but just above info should be very useful, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

the first question to ask is do you need an NOS gas flip cap?

The second thing to remember is the answer is no.

All these wonderful comments are nice, but all I am asking for is an opinion. I have been collecting and restoring muscle cars, mostly Corvettes, since before 1970. I am however new to Mopars.

I have seen a NOS gas cap for a 66 Satellite/Belvedere listed for $450. Nice ones go for about 150-200 or so, so I don't know that the 450 he is asking is too much. So in your case I would see what nice, used ones go for and see what the difference is compared to the NOS one. At $315, I don't think he's asking too much myself. I would make a counter offer though and see what the vendor says.

I have seen a NOS gas cap for a 66 Satellite/Belvedere listed for $450. Nice ones go for about 150-200 or so, so I don't know that the 450 he is asking is too much. So in your case I would see what nice, used ones go for and see what the difference is compared to the NOS one. At $315, I don't think he's asking too much myself. I would make a counter offer though and see what the vendor says.

Thanks. That was my idea. Make a counter offer.

well look at it this way "they don't make um anymore".i say its worth it..hell I paid 500 for a set of NOS taillight lenses for a 63 dart.but needed them.couldnt find them anywhere..so its worth it if you have the cash.. make an offer,get it and call it good.God Bless Bear R.-

Last edited:
I made a counter offer of $250 which I think is quite generous. It was accepted by the seller. I will buy it pending complete photographs. Seller also has a money back guarantee.

Get used to high prices on NOS Mopar parts. You are lucky that the seller came down to $250. A lot of times, they will sit on a part for a certain price and wait til the guy with a Hemi car comes along and needs it for their resto.
$315 for that cap - would sell at Carlisle on the first day.

Get used to high prices on NOS Mopar parts. You are lucky that the seller came down to $250. A lot of times, they will sit on a part for a certain price and wait til the guy with a Hemi car comes along and needs it for their resto.
$315 for that cap - would sell at Carlisle on the first day.

That is so true. I paid 375.00 for the left rear Belt Line Chrome Trim piece for my 66 Ply Sat project back in 2005. Actually got the last known NOS piece as I have never seen any more as being available with the NOS label. They are out there used but also few and far between. As stated above, what the seller thinks it is worth may be different then what the buyer is willing to pay. Haggling on price is a healthy thing and congrats on getting the item for what you feel it is worth....

Oh, I know, I know...let me be the first one to say...It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it :):):)

Now, don't you just feel the value oozing out out of that information?

Sorry I don't know anything about what comparable units have recently sold for, but just above info should be very useful, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
.... and it continues to OOOZ...

Somehow I feel responsible here. Should I apologize or congratulate you?

BTW 250 is a great price.

It just seems to me it would have been cheaper to have the original re-chromed or am I wrong here? I also have no concept of spending that kind of money on a restoration since I want my stuff drivable (like anywhere , grocery store, whatever). But honestly, $250 for a gas cap seems a bit rough.

Somehow I feel responsible here. Should I apologize or congratulate you?

BTW 250 is a great price.

Re chroming the original was not done because it does not leave the serrated edge sharp. It usually looks worse and is obviously re chromed.
For better or worse my Hemi GTX is a show winning trailer queen that still gets driven. I don't have it to look at it in the garage or roll it in and off a trailer. $250 for an original gas cap for this car is worth every penny and is not a lot of money though.

I made a counter offer of $250 which I think is quite generous. It was accepted by the seller. I will buy it pending complete photographs. Seller also has a money back guarantee.

I asked agian and bought it for $200!

Auto Transport Service
Back