• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's better?

the mississippi madman

Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
I'm about to get some new wheels and I was looking on thoughts and opinions on which choice is better as far as durability of the finish, how easy it is to keep clean and what finish last the longest before looking like crap
Polished or chrome?
What say you, men.

If you take care of chrome - I.e. Polish it once in a while and keep it clean it lasts forever. I love the look depending on what wheels you buy. I have cragars on my GTX and they look great - in my opinion. I've had chrome wheels on my Lexus for 14 years and never polish them but do keep them clean and they look great on the car. Polished wheels are probably lower maintenance but don't usually carry the panache - again depending on the wheels you choose.

If you take care of chrome - I.e. Polish it once in a while and keep it clean it lasts forever. I love the look depending on what wheels you buy. I have cragars on my GTX and they look great - in my opinion. I've had chrome wheels on my Lexus for 14 years and never polish them but do keep them clean and they look great on the car. Polished wheels are probably lower maintenance but don't usually carry the panache - again depending on the wheels you choose.
Polished
are-5158961.jpg

Chrome
are-8158861.jpg

For upkeep, chrome is easiest....as long as you take reasonable care of your stuff. I hate raw and polished aluminum. It's like having another job.

A different opinion, asked a friend his opinion on some wheels I was looking at "he said do you want people looking at your wheels or your car?". As always buy what you like. Ps I bought turbine wheels liked them for years. Now bet I couldn't get $100 for them.

I'm about to get some new wheels and I was looking on thoughts and opinions on which choice is better as far as durability of the finish, how easy it is to keep clean and what finish last the longest before looking like crap
Polished or chrome?
What say you, men.
My experience is that it all depends on the quality of the wheel. Inexpensive chrome wheels don't seem to hold up.

Polished or chrome?
What say you, men.

Chroming on steel wheels is crap, that's why they cost less. In time you see the chrome flaking off starting where the lug nuts are and it gets worse in time. Polished aluminum wheels have a nice shinny satin look ( not quite as glossy as chrome ) and aren't the first thing the eye see's as your going by. Chrome on aluminum yields a very expensive wheel but is probably the nicest of all, you'll be taking out a loan for these but at least you get to pick the color of chrome. Highly polished aluminum wheels look great and come in many styles so you have to decide between style and price as well as visual estetics, and only you can make that decision. Too bad you couldn't "try before you buy".

Chroming on steel wheels is crap, that's why they cost less. In time you see the chrome flaking off starting where the lug nuts are and it gets worse in time. Polished aluminum wheels have a nice shinny satin look ( not quite as glossy as chrome ) and aren't the first thing the eye see's as your going by. Chrome on aluminum yields a very expensive wheel but is probably the nicest of all, you'll be taking out a loan for these but at least you get to pick the color of chrome. Highly polished aluminum wheels look great and come in many styles so you have to decide between style and price as well as visual estetics, and only you can make that decision. Too bad you couldn't "try before you buy".
It says the wheels are aluminum both polished and chrome

Auto Transport Service
Back